Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 12:26 PM

Default How heavy is SSHE?

Hey folks,
When I heard that Ed Miller got a book on the market dealing with exactly the limits I play in, I of course wanted to get it as fast as possible. But when I looked at the final review of my order, I couldnt trust my eyes: Since I'm from Germany I have to use air mail, and the standard shipping is 16.95$!! I dont order very much items oversea, but still I have never seen such a high shipping fee for a BOOK. Why is this so expensive?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: How heavy is SSHE?

Not that it matters, but the book weighs 1 lb., 6 oz. I have a postal scale, and am familiar with rates, including international.

The best way to ship a book, or any thing of a similar size, internationally is USPS Global Priority Mail Flat Rate. There are two envelope sizes, and the rate is the same for whatever fits in an envelope, regardless of weight. The small one costs $5.00 and the large one costs $9.00 for 4-6 day delivery anyplace in the world. I don't have any small envelopes here to try, but I doubt the book would fit in one. It definitely fits in the large one, so it's $9.00 postage. The alternative is Economy Mail which is $6.30 for 4-6 week delivery.

There are other expenses in shipping, including labor and materials, so I would expect to pay at least $10-12 for that kind of shipping. Many book sellers discount the book and make up for it by marking up the shipping and handling. In shopping around, look at the total cost.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:43 PM

But why is it so expensive then? I wanted to order it directly from twoplustwo.com, but paying 16$ shipping fee for a 20$ product seems a bit to cost-ineffective to me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2004, 01:49 PM

if they charged $8 for shipping and said that the price of the book 'internationally' was $28 would you feel better?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:49 PM

living in germany might have something to do with it, and if they are using a non flat rate shipping method that would explain it as well. did you compare to amazon or another company that might ship more stuff to germany?
Old 08-05-2004, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that it matters, but the book weighs 1 lb., 6 oz. I have a postal scale, and am familiar with rates, including international.

[/ QUOTE ]

Benjamin Franklin, Postmaster General 1775-1776.

Dude, aren't you past the mandatory retirement age?
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2004, 07:00 PM

He uses the scale to weigh his hemp.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:47 PM

That fee might also include the customs fee.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:27 PM

Hey, spend the bucks, it's worth it. I've read quite a few poker books and a good number of 2+2 ones, and this book is easily up there with the best of them. Plus the writing style is much more clear and well thought out than the usual 2+2 books are. I know the short term doesn't mean much, but already my game seems notably better, and my winnings sure are, and I just got the book last week. Read the first 200 pages in a day. Good stuff. The book will pay for itself.

I'm sure you'll find it ausgezeichnet.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:41 PM

Perhaps if you buy more books then there won't be significant additional shipping costs. I'm pretty sure that was the case when I was getting some books from ConJelCo into Canada. I took the opportunity to get HFAP.