Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Near the bubble in a rebuy tourney

6 players remaining. The payouts are 1000, 550, and 330, though typically once it gets four handed a deal is made where 4th gets $100 back. I am the chip leader with about 55k, blinds 2/4. As you can see, there aren't too many chips in play. The two decent sized stacks (prob 28k and 40k) aren't involved in this hand.

Action is folded to CO who moves in for his last 5k. He is a good player, but has been sitting on his remaining chips. This is the first time he has put them all in as short stack, so he has been patient and waited. I have jacks in the sb. The big blind has just 9k more.

Do you raise the big blind out of the hand or do you just call the 5k trying to get big blind to call 1k more, and give him a chance to hit a flop for the chance to knock out two players?

Also, I know that he won't force me out of the hand unless he hits, so I don't have to worry about being bluffed.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Near the bubble in a rebuy tourney

This reminds me a lot of Hachem's JJ hand at the final table. I didn't like Hachem's play then and I don't like calling here. Put in a raise. No need to let the BB come along with an overcard. Occasionally calling gets you in a great situation where the flop is all rags and he has TP but I don't think this makes up for the times he has an overcard and hits.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:51 PM

I think you need at least QQ to try and trap the BB here.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:56 PM

POOSH! Preflop.

and I agree with Matador - think you need at least QQ to try and trap the BB here.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:56 PM

I forgot to mention that the Big Blind is easily the worst players at the table. Will this change anything?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:01 PM

Worst player at the table in what way? Very loose? Overly aggressive? Weak tight?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:03 PM

just dumb. He is kind of weak, calls too much. def not overly aggressive. doesn't understand pot odds. w/ utg all in for 7k and folds to him in big blind, he folds his 4k big blind. seen him get pot committed and fold saving a few meager chips. also seen him decide to move all in on draws and hit. just not good.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:10 PM

I still move in here. BB would have to be a very aggressive player for me to consider trying to trap here with JJ.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:02 PM

standard push...not a bad situation to have jacks in...
Old 12-05-2005, 05:01 PM

yea, well I just called and the big blind put in his extra 1k. The flop was 8-5-4 rainbow, I bet 5k at it and he pushed in his last 8k with 82o, turned a 2. I guess my greed served me right. I ended up losing 13k on the hand, was down to an average stack and ended up busting 4th.

I thought it was a decent play at the time and still liked it afterwards regardless of the results, but everyone's feedback has me second guessing. This is definitely the weakest hand that I even consider doing this with.