Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Here\'s a good example

Is this Moneymaker? I guess he was trying to steal the antes from 2nd position by completing from 2nd position with TKA, rainbow, with the ace showing. I may be a fish, but I would fold on 3rd street. On 4th street his voard looked good so he continued. I guess he was still trying to win without a showdown by betting 5th street.

I assume he was semibluffing, hoping to win without a showdown and figuring he ahad a good chance of winning high, which mighteven be good for a scoop.

On fifth street, he has a gutshot and a good chance at a big pair, but it seems unlikely hero is going anywhere with 546 and almost certainly two low cards in the hole. Hero may have a made low, and probably a good one. If not, he has atleast a pair for high. Hero has obvious straight possibilities. Villain is down 72-28 on 5th street, and it is hard to see how hero could have cards that put villain in better shape than that.

I guess this is Moneymaker's aggressive style. I certainly wouldn't play the hand this way. Although villain appeared to catch a good card on 4th street, hero also caught a good card. Since hero almost certainly called with a strong razz hand, villain had a good chance of picking up the pot if hero caught bad. Once hero catches connecting low cards, I would be tenpted to cut my losses and fold 4th or 5th street. It is possible Moneymaker feels his ability to steal antes would be diminished if he folded.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:52 AM

Hey, I know that kid and he's a tool (assuming you mean winner of final event). It appears he also sucks at Stud/8, huh?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I know that kid and he's a tool (assuming you mean winner of final event). It appears he also sucks at Stud/8, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is villain in this hand? The original thread was about Moneymaker, and I know that Moneymaker did well in both WCOOP Stud events. The kid who one the WCOOP main event appears to have been blowing some of his money at fairly high stakes online games.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:32 AM

No, that was the winner of the Stud8/B event not the main event. This game is really goofy bc it seems like so many people play some bad hands and still make a profit out of it, although I think villian's play in this hand is awful.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a couple players in that game who can play weird hands for what seems to be a profit, but that just looks awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that weird? I've been noticing it as well. Some of the regulars play in some very unconventional ways and still seem to do fairly decent in the game. Any thoughts on how or why they can pull this off?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think villian's play in this hand is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of like the early position complete with this hand in a tight game. He has a good chance to steal the antes, steal the hand later on, or make an open pair of aces or something. He was only a 56-44 dog on 3rd street. Also this kind of play makes it harder for people to read him.

However, he started with this worse hand and it developed badly. He needed to fold or atleast call it down.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This game is really goofy bc it seems like so many people play some bad hands and still make a profit out of it

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think this is? Do you think a lot of those guys just play the game for a few months< run good and then go bust? do you think they just have excellent hand reading ability and can put themselves in good positions with marginal hands against people with even worse hands?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think they just have excellent hand reading ability and can put themselves in good positions with marginal hands against people with even worse hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner. The problem is, sometimes it's hard to tell who's flat out awful and who is very good (but unconventional). "Tight as Balls" players don't seem to make up a majority of the game's big winners.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2005, 10:58 AM

Mike, I made a post about this, but forgot to actually post it .. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

I read something in mid/high LHE where someone made a post commenting on how he thought the 50/100 on party was fishy cause he watches it and sees some suspect plays. A somewhat knowledgeable poster chimed in saying that it may look fishy on the surface, but because the players know one another fairly well they are trying to make plays at each other, etc.. And that if a straightforward abc player sat down, those players would adjust their style accordingly.

It seems to me though in the game you're mentioning, straightforward solid poker will bring home the bacon as there is no substitute for quality starting hands in 8/B, correct?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me though in the game you're mentioning, straightforward solid poker will bring home the bacon as there is no substitute for quality starting hands in 8/B, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think so, but I haven't been finding this out. I think I need more time to further understand whats going on here.