Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: AKs gets turn checkraised.

On first glance, it looks like UTG flopped a set to me.

After being 3-bet on the flop, I would be thinking about folding to a turn bet. When the ace hits, now you can't go anywhere, but after getting check raised, it's pretty obvious villan doesn't even care about the Ace.

I'd have a very hard time folding here, and given his loose stats, I may find myself calling down here.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:50 PM

I think I'm calling down here. If you don't hit the turn you're done. But you hit your money card. I'm worried about A9 or a set, but I think you have to call for two more bets.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:04 PM

Villains most likely holdings on the turn based on the way the hand has played out are A9, 99, 55, 33. This range could be wider as a 1.5 AF is pretty aggro for a 50VPIP player. I can't help but to call down here.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:13 PM

I can't think of a hand we beat that UTG will play this way. It looks like he has a set or possibly A9. If we're against A9 we have 3 outs, and are drawing dead against a set. I'd just fold to the turn raise.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:37 PM

When you raised the flop and he re-raised, he was defining his hand, and he's telling you he's got at least TP, maybe A9 or maybe a set. Your subsequent call gives him a pretty good idea that you have OC's rather than an over-pair.

And then when the Ace comes on the turn, he CR's you. I realize the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is tantalizing, and gives you the illusion that now you have something, but it also can make you forget what you may have learned from his flop re-raise. His CR tells you he either doesn't care about the Ace or maybe that it just adds strength to his hand. He has, or should have, a pretty good idea that you just paired your Ace, yet he CRs.

He has bet-reraised youon the flop and then CRed you on the turn. What does he have to do to convince you? Time to bail out! Fold this to his CR.

bc
Old 07-11-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you raised the flop and he re-raised, he was defining his hand, and he's telling you he's got at least TP, maybe A9 or maybe a set. Your subsequent call gives him a pretty good idea that you have OC's rather than an over-pair.

And then when the Ace comes on the turn, he CR's you. I realize the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is tantalizing, and gives you the illusion that now you have something, but it also can make you forget what you may have learned from his flop re-raise. His CR tells you he either doesn't care about the Ace or maybe that it just adds strength to his hand. He has, or should have, a pretty good idea that you just paired your Ace, yet he CRs.

He has bet-reraised youon the flop and then CRed you on the turn. What does he have to do to convince you? Time to bail out! Fold this to his CR.

bc

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered the flop action and the turn checkraise. The check-raise felt like he was trying to get an extra bet from me, putting me on an ace. Villain is aggressive, but not maniac agressive. So I agree with your points that folding to the turn checkraise is correct.

I called down BTW [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 05:20 PM

You simply cant fold to this turn check raise. Who knows what this person is doing? Some have stated that this person is "telling you they have top pair or a set" blah blah blah. I find it extremely hard to believe this person has a set unless they are an utter and complete idiot (which also seems possible). If they were a thinking player, they would check the flop, allow the preflop raiser to bet, get the other preflop callers to call, then raise. Why bet out, allow the preflop raiser to destroy your action, and then 3-bet? Total retard move. To be expected from this clown. Call down. You raised the flop looking to knock others out and hoping for an A or K and got your wish. Given the way this dumbass played the hand, all you can do is call, call. He could have you beat, but his aggression numbers are way too high for the number of hands he plays.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:53 PM

A big difference in the SSHE example is that villain can be betting a flush draw. You really need to have a slight chance to be ahead of the bettor in order for a raise to be correct.

I'm not saying it is certainly wrong, it could very well be the right play if villain will bet a wide range of hands (or fold a hand like middle pair on the turn). But if he is the type that only bets made hands, will 3-bet them against a raise, and call down with any pair, you are much better off just calling.

See this post by Nate, it is tremendous.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:11 AM

He may have any ace the way he plays. My guess would be two pair. I call down, because when you have an aggro factor of 1.5 when you are playing 50% of hands, that means you are pretty damn aggressive. I call down. I don't think his turn checkraise means you are beat often enough to fold. A lot of money in the pot, call imo. Also, he may be trying to get tricky checkraising you with the A, having decided to put you on JJ/QQ/KK and planning to scare you away on the river if you call his raise. Also, he may be the type to check-raise the turn with 4 to the flush. Dunno, I just think that anyone that aggro playing half their hands don't have much and have to make up for it with tricky post-flop aggressive play.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:42 AM

Unless this guy has been playing absolutely crazy, you don't need to call down here. In other words, I am a payoff artist yet I would find the fold pretty easily.