Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 04:17 PM

Default AKo against a possible isolation raise.

Mp1 is a LAG, the type of LAG that plays lots of hands and raising all of them preflop, but usually give up easily after on the flop and post flop.

CO is a TAG, he could have a big hand or can also be trying to isolate the maniac

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

I called with AKo, should I have folded this? I didn't want to cap this pre-flop because I wanted to see if MP1 likes his hand enough to cap it.

Thoughts on the call down HU. I like calling down HU against a TAG after he 3-bets the flop. I see no value in going crazy in HU situations. If MP1 stayed in the hand I would cap the flop for value.

This hand may seem like I am weak tight, but I am not.
I am just selectively aggressive.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: AKo against a possible isolation raise.

I think I probably cap the flop and then call down if Villan leads out on the turn, otherwise I bet. You're in a sort of I-think-you-think-I-think situation, if the TAG has been paying attention to you, so he's probably playing a weaker king or maybe just on a semi-bluff trying to push you off the pot.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:36 PM

What do you think about raising the river instead.

I think by raising the river, I don't risk folding out a weaker hand and don't risk being 3-bet by a overpair.

For example if I cap the flop, CO might check fold the turn unimproved. If I just call the flop, then call the turn and raise the river, I would probably get the max value with out the risk of being 3-bet. Unless he got KK of course.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:44 PM

I'd rather take my shot early. A TAG isn't going to fold AA/KK to one more bet on the river. Your way costs you an additional BB to lose to a better hand, mine only costs a SB, and you may take the pot down right there.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:47 PM

I don't like raising either of the expensive streets because I think you're either chopping or losing if the CO is a good player.

I'd also cap pre-flop.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:35 PM

I didn't want to cap this pre-flop because I wanted to see if MP1 likes his hand enough to cap it.

Save this play for when the dude is a TAG. In a 3-handed pot a TAG will almost always go for the value cap preflop should he have a big hand (if it were HU he might get tricky but usually not 3-way). Calling for info against a LAG is pretty worthless since his cap doesn't really tell you much about his hand...cap the AK preflop for value.

Brad

Edit - Don't even consider folding in this spot.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Cap pre-flop. The LAG will see the flop anyways, so get that extra bet out of him now. I'm not sure I stop raising at any point in this hand. Against a TAG here, your hand is very strong. You're behind AA and KK and both are unlikely given that you hold one of each. At bare minimum, cap the flop, and raise the turn. If CO 3-bets me on the turn, then I may begin to consider calling down.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:55 PM

Since he's a Tag you may end up with a split pot. The only other hands I can see a TAG 3 betting that you're behind is of course Aces or Kings. Though you could be against TT-QQ, or even pairs as low as 77 (if it was an isolation raise), posibly even KQ. I think calldown is OK, and I understand not capping under your logic, plus it may have caused him to not put you on a hand this strong so he might still be betting queens or Jacks.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:07 PM

Once it's heads up capping the flop or raising the turn becomes self-defeating, IMO.

Why give him a chance to wiggle off the hook with a worse hand or suck maximum value out of us with a better one?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather take my shot early. A TAG isn't going to fold AA/KK to one more bet on the river. Your way costs you an additional BB to lose to a better hand, mine only costs a SB, and you may take the pot down right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is I do not want to take the pot down right there. I want to get the max value when I am ahead and lose the minimum when I am behind. If villain folds right there and I win, then that means he folded a worse hand than my own.

so raising the river is not a good play, but maybe the line I actually took is better than capping the flop.