Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Interesting AJo hand

OK, I know I made some mistakes in this hand. I was confused on every street except the river. 2nd hand at the table, so no reads on CO or button.

Pacific 0.25/.5 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] .
5 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB checks.

I just limp here, as I am OOP. With AJs, I would have raised. Is this correct, or should I raise this knowing nothing about the limpers?

Flop: (5 SB) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, CO bets, Button calls, Hero raises, BB folds, MP3 folds, CO 3-bets, BB calls, Hero calls.

Should I have just bet out here? Anyone cap this flop?

Turn: (7 BB) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero bets, CO calls, Button calls.

I bet out here, assuming the button would raise and CO would have to pay for his flush draw. If raised, I would call down here. Bad plan?

River: (10BB) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero bets, CO folds, Button calls.

No raises on the turn? I bet out when the blank falls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 03-26-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Interesting AJo hand

[ QUOTE ]
I bet out here, assuming the button would raise and CO would have to pay for his flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

how did you come up with these two assumptions?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:53 PM

played very nicely. I don't raise AJo PF here.

You can't guarantee a late position bet here, so checkraising is risky. glad it paid off.

Nice Hand.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 03-26-2005, 04:55 PM

Right or wrong, I play it the same. I wouldn't bet out from SB, instead hoping to c/r a bet from late position to thin the field. I'm not freaking out about CO's 3-bet, but I don't want to cap it either. When the blank falls on the turn and you don't get raised, I think your hand is good unless the third club comes on the river. Nice hand.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:57 PM

PF: I like the limp here, but others may disagree. It's very close either way.

Flop: I like the C/R line here, but once I'm 3-bet, I am worried about a set or two-pair. A flush draw is also a possibility however.

Turn: I am not really confident I have the best hand here. I do think leading the turn does give you the information you need however. In this situation, I would lead and fold to a raise.

River: Looks pretty standard.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:01 PM

I would consider raising preflop with this hand. Actually I changed my mind, I wouldn't do any considering and just raise it. Not betting the flop is pretty bad (raised preflop or not). There is no good reason not to bet here, and it explains why you should raise preflop. Just because you do doesn't mean that you have to go crazy after the flop. But when you do happen to flop a pair or aces or jacks, you will be betting out anyway so you might as well get that extra value in there preflop for the ~30% of the time you flop the best hand.

Brad
Old 03-26-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I bet out here, assuming the button would raise and CO would have to pay for his flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

how did you come up with these two assumptions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I put Button on some sort of draw after calling two cold on the flop. The only logical draw is a flush draw. (Of course, Pacific players aren't logical, but anyway.) I guess I really have no reason to think CO will raise, but his flop play told me he liked his hand. After seeing the river, he probably had something like Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], but there is no way I could have known that. No matter what he has, I do not want to allow a free card, so I bet out. Right/wrong?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:08 PM

I think that raising AJo preflop is borderline here. With a top pair hand like this and three callers, do you really want to pump up the pot for their redraws even if you do land TP on the flop, especially playing out of position?

I'm not being sarcastic, I am honestly asking.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But when you do happen to flop a pair or aces or jacks, you will be betting out anyway so you might as well get that extra value in there preflop for the ~30% of the time you flop the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense.

Thanks for the replies.

For the record, MHIG against button.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that raising AJo preflop is borderline here. With a top pair hand like this and three callers, do you really want to pump up the pot for their redraws even if you do land TP on the flop, especially playing out of position?

I'm not being sarcastic, I am honestly asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very hard for a hand like K6o to flop a draw. If people are limping with good hands then yes by all means check. But people are limping with crap and that can't go unpunished.

Brad