Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Misapplication of Small Stakes Hold \'em or okay?

4. Your display of strength may convince players not to call your river bet after you make your hand.

And 5, you might be able to get a checkraise in on the river after you make your hand, so you would be able to put in the value when you were ahead, instead of hoping to be ahead. When the river card was a 4, instead of a club, you are almost guaranteed that you will be able to checkraise the river. On this hand, you traded thin value, for value created when you had the nuts.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And 5, you might be able to get a checkraise in on the river after you make your hand, so you would be able to put in the value when you were ahead, instead of hoping to be ahead. When the river card was a 4, instead of a club, you are almost guaranteed that you will be able to checkraise the river. On this hand, you traded thin value, for value created when you had the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a worthwhile point to remember.

I chose not to list it because on this particular hand my personal judgment was that I would not risk a river checkraise anyway, especially if I hit the flush. You need to plan the river in advance when making this type of turn decision.

Looking at the board I don't think UTG has a wonderful hand. If this decision had actually been close a read on UTG would be helpful. A passive UTG will probably not 3-bet after you checkraise him for the second time and is not a good risk for a river checkraise. That makes the turn checkraise better. The opposite applies to an aggressive player.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...you might be able to get a checkraise in on the river after you make your hand, so you would be able to put in the value when you were ahead, instead of hoping to be ahead. When the river card was a 4, instead of a club, you are almost guaranteed that you will be able to checkraise the river. On this hand, you traded thin value, for value created when you had the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well stated! When I first read through the hand, I thought on the river "What a lovely card--too bad he can't now go for the checkraise."
Old 10-29-2004, 03:17 PM

Wow. You've had some authoritative responses already Tru. Before I read them, I was going to say that the turn raise was out of line but not horribly so. My logic was based pretty much on straightforward pot equity considerations. But the other posters have given well-thought-out additional reasons for the turn raise being a bad idea. Learn from them!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:19 PM

Thanks All! All the answers I wanted to hear. It's alot clearer now.

Tru
Old 10-29-2004, 05:51 PM

just call the turn