Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 11:46 PM

Default Thirty-four AAs

Of the 34 times I've had pocket aces, I've raised preflop and merely stolen the blinds 6 times. A few more times I had one or two callers to put a SB in to see the flop, but then folded the next street that I bet on. (I tried a variety of slowplaying post-flop to see if I could induce bluffs.)

I read recently winning the blinds with AA was "a catastrophe". What techniques should I consider to avoid this? I've heard of limp-reraising, but I've never done it. What positions would you try this from, and what kind of table conditions?

Old 04-27-2004, 12:08 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Thirty-four AAs

[ QUOTE ]
I read recently winning the blinds with AA was "a catastrophe".

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this friggin' line.

It sounds like you're not raising enough hands preflop, nor betting enough hands postflop. Just a guess if you're not getting much action on your aces.

But you dont mention the other 20+ times you played them. How did those do? You dont always get action when you raise.

b
Old 04-27-2004, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate this friggin' line.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, winning is never awful.

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you're not raising enough hands preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, 7.45 PFR. About average?

[ QUOTE ]
nor betting enough hands postflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Aggression factor 0.38 / 1.70 / 1.85 / 2.10. I have no friggin clue where these numbers stand.

[ QUOTE ]
But you dont mention the other 20+ times you played them. How did those do?

[/ QUOTE ]
2.5bb/hand. Winning a whopping 82%. (My win rate was exactly half that at .5/1!)
Old 04-27-2004, 12:44 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, 7.45 PFR. About average?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a %? It looks a little low if it is. Maybe not. If its the % of hands you raise preflop when you see the flop, i think it looks kind of low. Id have to see your preflop raising standards to be sure. You may just not be getting many raising hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Aggression factor 0.38 / 1.70 / 1.85 / 2.10. I have no friggin clue where these numbers stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what these numbers mean. But someone else may know. I think they represent the 4 streets. But other than that...

Unfortunately, stats dont tell us/me how you play certain hands. Like, non AA hands. Or how you approach certain hands preflop. The stats dont indicate the situations presented.

b
Old 04-27-2004, 12:44 AM

2.5bb/hand.

I think this is pretty close. Mines like 2.8 or so but you've only had it 34 times. You dont have anything to worry about. Some days you take the blinds down every time, some days they get cracked every time, and some days you win a monster pot from some guy with KK who refused to stop raising and scared you into just calling down and now you're thinking about all the bets you missed.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:50 AM

Are you telling me that you've never seen the river with 34 rockets? I don't believe it, no way. Everytime I raise them I get all the callers I can handle and usually need to improve to win the hand.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:03 AM

Everytime I raise them I get all the callers I can handle and usually need to improve to win the hand.

Not bloody likely.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:01 AM

Damn lol, my aces are getting me 1.06 bb/hand. I'm only winning em about 55% of the time. Going through a real bad streak with em, and only 7k hands in PT, so I know it'll even out overtime. I cant wait, my aces cant get any worse :P
Old 04-27-2004, 03:11 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

bro you're making a post that is based on a sample size of 34

it's not that hard to play aces. concentrate on the more important things that will make you a better player, like how to play your drawing hands
Old 04-27-2004, 03:49 AM

Sample size is irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion. I am merely using my results to segue into a discussion about the concept of "AA is worth more than the blinds", and how to avoid the so-called "catastrophe" of AA merely taking them. I want to know people's thoughts on the topic - limp-re-raising being one of the tactics I've read about (but not in any meaningful depth).