Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Funny thing is...

I would respond, but based on your inability to understand our last dialogue, and the fact I have no clue what this post is about, I refrain.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:02 AM

That has to be the most tasteless, disgusting post I've ever seen on these forums.

Lord, deliver us from "born again Christians...."

You obviously don't comprehend what he's saying. Either that or you just really like taking things out of context.

GoT
Old 01-20-2004, 11:32 AM

Lord, deliver us from "born again Christians...."

Amen to that. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2004, 12:17 PM

Hi Guy (and NotReady):

The comparison of poker to Auschwitz was truly tasteless and disgusting. NR's worst day at poker is infinitely better than the best day for the inmates at that killing factory, and to compare the two shows no sensitivity for those who suffered through that nightmare.

Cris
Old 01-20-2004, 01:06 PM

I used Auschwitz because (1) It was one of the worst possible places to ever be on this earth and (2) It has a high recognition factor. I could have used Siberia, Hell's Kitchen, Devil's Island, Alcatraz, the Inquisition, a Roman galley ship or any of the many other hell holes man has created for the torture of man.

I intended no disrespect to anyone, I have the greatest regard for those who survived that horror, and the greatest sympathy for those who didn't.

New American Heritage Dictionary
"
hyperbole

SYLLABICATION: hy·per·bo·le
PRONUNCIATION: h-pűrb-l
NOUN: A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.
ETYMOLOGY: Latin hyperbol, from Greek huperbol, excess, from huperballein, to exceed : huper, beyond; see hyper– + ballein, to throw; see gwel- in Appendix I.
"

I do confess I failed PC.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:23 PM

Forget PC, it was however, impolite.

Anyway, apology accepted. Thanks for making it.

Jay
Old 01-20-2004, 01:34 PM

You might as well give up on any and all recreation if that is going to be your litmus test of what you should spend your time doing.

Poker is not merely recreation for me anymore. It is my only source of income and I spend quite a good deal of my time on it. I have no problem participating in "meaningless" recreational activities, however, the fact that the thing that I spend the most time doing revolves around and solely benefits only myself bothers me. I realize that most people wouldn't have a problem with that, so long as it's what makes them happy, but it bothers ME.

Don't fall for this trap. No one questions other leisure activities, but for some reason if you spend your time with anything invloving chance, you're instantly a degenerate.

Like I said, I have no problem with poker as gambling, and I also have no problem is others disapprove of my pokering. What others see it as is their deal, not mine. My concern is that I'm spending my life doing something which isn't "making a difference."

Next time someone demands proof of benefit from your poker play, just throw life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness back at them.

Like I said, I know I can give reasons to other people and make logical justifications. That's not my problem. My problem is my own convictions of what I want to accomplish with my life and how poker fails to meet these convictions.

GoT
Old 01-20-2004, 01:51 PM

Hi NotReady,

Thank you for the apology. And what used to be called courtesy and sensitivity (positive virtues) is now called "political correctness" (a weakness). Sorry, but sometimes we do need to be more sensitive to the feelings of others.

Anyway, thanks for the apology.

Cris
Old 01-20-2004, 02:24 PM

solely benefits only myself

Not true. Read some of my other posts concerning downstream economic value.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Value of the \"profession,\" bereft?

Hey,

I think this statement reflects societies changing view of sports. People forget that sports should and do contribute to overall physical fitness and well-being, teamork and community.

Consider that there is an epidemic of obesity at the present time with major societal implications and that the "look out for myself" attitude seems to be paramount in todays capitalistic society.

[ QUOTE ]

I find it fascinating that football, baseball, and basketball players are heros, even though they contribute nothing except entertainment and many of them use drugs, get in fights, and are extremely immoral sexually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker, on the other hand offers no sense of teamwork or community and promotes a "look out for myself only" attitude.

[ QUOTE ]
But we poker players are nearly pariahs because we also provide nothing but entertainment, cost society much less money, don't do drugs, and don't have the same sexual habits.

[/ QUOTE ]