Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Late $200 SNG (4-6 players), what to call with?

I've been playing lots of $200 sngs the past couple days (ranked 8th on the weekly leaderboard [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), and noticed a big leak in my game is calling too much when it comes down too 4-6 players with small pockets when Im short stacked.

Is this a big problem?

For example, lets say the blinds are 50-100, 5 players, im on the utg2 with 66 and 1000 chips, utg pushs with 1770 chips, is this a call or fold? Usually Im up aganist 2 overs, a bad ace with a kicker under 6, where Im a good favorite, and sometimes Im up againist a bigger pocket. What about at the 75-150, or 100-200 level?

Or should I just fold, and stick to my normal blind stealing?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Late $200 SNG (4-6 players), what to call with?

What range of hands do you put UTG on? A push for 17 BB UTG...even a very aggressive player isn't pushing a marginal hand, and probably no pair less than your sixes.

10 BB is nowhere near short-stacked. Be patient, you have plenty of time. You certainly don't have to call off your chips in a spot where you're probably < 50% against UTG's range of pushing hands. Plus, the rest of the players still have to act, once in a while someone will jump in with big pair too.

If you're down to say, 2-3 BB, then it becomes a much more attractive proposition, because you're probably going to have to make a stand in marginal spot anyhow, but here you'd get a nice blind overlay giving you a shot to make 2.5:1 or so on your chips (and UTG pushing a bigger stack than you makes in a lot less likely that BB will make it a 3-way pot).

Be careful. A lot of people come into the 200s and run hot for their first couple of hundred or so. You need to play thousands to have a good long run picture. Just keep expectations in check and be adequately bankrolled at all times, etc., etc.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:57 PM

With the hand, Ive seen too many times where UTG does this with a bad ace or small pocket, but I guess 50% sounds right, as to whether or not Im the favorite.

But what if the blinds go up, and lets say the blinds are pretty loose, and I barely have folding equity after the blinds hit me?

Yeah, I got over 80 buys ins for the game, with my solid style and 45% ITM, I think Im chilling.

I aint even running that good, even though I have a 40% ROI and a 45% ITM over the last 200-300 games, I still think Im running so and so. Tooooo many suck outs to say Im running good, I havnt had any crazy streaks either yet.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:00 PM

The only way you should be winning or just "chilling" is if you are playing solid...not so so. The suck outs and coin flips are what makes solir players lose the most. So as long as you are playing solid and paying attension to the other players styles you should be good.

Good luck
-Zebra

PS: that ROI is rediculous for a 200 SNG series.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is this a big problem?

For example, lets say the blinds are 50-100, 5 players, im on the utg2 with 66 and 1000 chips, utg pushs with 1770 chips, is this a call or fold? Usually Im up aganist 2 overs, a bad ace with a kicker under 6, where Im a good favorite, and sometimes Im up againist a bigger pocket. What about at the 75-150, or 100-200 level?

Or should I just fold, and stick to my normal blind stealing?

[/ QUOTE ]

With 1000 chips, it's an easy fold to me. Mind the gap.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:23 PM

i dont think your in front pre-flop against the usual range of hands - small pairs are ok to call with when your short stacked and can get heads up pre-flop but this isnt that situation

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 12-18-2004, 07:48 PM

Dont gamble if you dont have to.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:18 PM

I thought highest ROI sustainable in 200$ level was near 10%?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:39 PM

Sorry for the question guys but I am a finance guy and ROI means something to me in the real world, but I clearly dont understand the nomenclature in poker. How are you defining return on investment here? In finance its $ earned / equity invested over a specified period of time, generally a year.

What is the denominator here? is it the amount bet? is is the amount of your bankroll? something else?

I am guessing its profit/wagers on average?
Old 12-18-2004, 10:34 PM

If I play $215 buy-in SNGs ($15 fee + $200 to prize pool), and over the course of playing a number of them I average a profit of $21.50 per SNG, then my ROI is 10%. Etc., etc.