Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 08:40 PM

Default Festa Al Lago Event 1 Bustout Hand

This was my first time playing in a tournement over 300 and I want to know if I could have played this hand differently.

It was early in the third level of the 1,000 +60 buyin at Bellagio. Blinds were at 100-200. I was in late MP with QQ. I had 2925 left in chips. Action folds to the player to my immediate right who raises to 400. I reraise to 1600. Folds to initial raiser who pushes all-in. Player has me covered by like 500. I call. He has 99 and flops set and I am elimniated.

My thought process was that I was prepared to push allin, but wanted a dominated hand to call me. Also if an ace or King comes I can get away from the hand. I also thought that by pot committing myself I could get him to fold. I did not think he would go allin without anything worse than AA or KK. If I had gone allin preflop there is a good chance he would have folded. Should I have gone allin preflop or did I just get unlucky?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-09-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Festa Al Lago Event 1 Bustout Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have gone allin preflop or did I just get unlucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:37 AM

You definitely cant fold the flop if an ace or king comes after putting in 1600 of your stack.
Some may say that allin is better, but there is really not much difference, as long as you don't plan to fold the flop.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:20 AM

With 2925 in chips at this level you definately want to take a 4.5:1 favorite to double up. The only problem with pot committing yourself with a large reraise preflop is that you might find yourself on the wrong end of a pair over pair confrontation. In this case though you played it right, had a great opportunity, and got unlucky. It happens.