Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 02:14 AM

Default bump

With Lee's recent stance on deals that pay more than 1st prize I thought this old thread on the same subject was relevant.

MS Sunshine
Old 04-26-2004, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Today\'s most hated Net player

Who was it that rejected Miro's deal
Old 04-26-2004, 09:49 AM

FWIW, I was just reading one of the Poker Essays books where Mason is extolling the virtues of keeping "deals" out of tournaments.

One of his ideas is to flatten the payout structure to remove the incentive to make a deal. Since M$ pointed out there is no difference between 1st and 2nd here, and 3rd is almost as good (and maybe more attractive to many players). This seems pretty flat.

Since most people here (and apparently on the rail) were arguing pro-deal, I'm wondering if and why Mason is wrong (IE why isn't the incentive removed to make a deal)?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:41 PM

Default anyone? Bueller? Buella? ;)

Old 04-26-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Re: anyone? Bueller? Buella? ;)

The drop-off from third ($10,600) to fourth (ZERO) is about as unflat as you can get [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: anyone? Bueller? Buella? ;)

[ QUOTE ]
The drop-off from third ($10,600) to fourth (ZERO) is about as unflat as you can get [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's helpful, thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 03:04 PM

This is a fantastic thread and I thank whoever bumped it, especially after last nights happenings. I have not read every post but here are my thoughts.

I just want to make a couple of points:

1. The third and fourth should have agreed amongst themselves that if either went out fourth the other would send $5300 in payment. They would then announce the deal to everyone and then decide to play it out. That way they don't give up the chance at the WSOP spot but have zero risk as compared to the deal they were offering. They are also not softplaying in any way.

2. If they are not smart enough to do that, there is absolutely nothing unethical about the big stack's actions. I must say discussion of this kind of ethical situation is a hobby of mine (a sick and boring one I know). The big stack never lied, soft played or coerced any of his opponents. He had no obligation to make a deal. He was a hardball negotiator which might not make him the nicest guy in the world but is well within the realm of proper business ethics. This is a business deal, not a small poker game among friends.

Regards
Old 04-26-2004, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Miros is free to do what he likes, and I certainly can't blame the guy for trying, however, all he did was cost himself EV and hand money to the other players.

The usual thing in this position is the other two players agree a 50% saver between themselves, but still play their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I can't see how people are so bitter over Miros rejecting the deal, since its so easy for them to come to an agreement anyway. Its nothing to do with ethics and the railbirds should get a life.

If Miros thought (rightly or wrongly) that there was extra value to his position then surely he has every right to ask for it. He thought he was giving them a hand out by agreeing to the deal.

He is simply guilty of not realizing 3rd and 4th would probably chop anyway and still have the chance to beat him.

ThePimpulator.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:42 AM

Let me set the stage for you 53 players PokerStars WSOP cash seats tounament, 5 1/2 hours later now 4 players.

I would love to be Miros now.
I don't know what I would do. But isn't this great to be in this kind of situation? He has 88k in chips. There is no reason for him to accept the deal, he's a winner for sure. If he knew people would hate him this much he would have thought about it a bit longer. It's easy to answer if you know the impact. I would have refused too. But after all the flames, I would have regret my decission. But we're talking about a lot of money here. The reason why we play poker is to win money.
Is this his first big tournament? This is maybe one of his biggest moments of his life. And he has to make a decission fast. A lot of people flaming in the chatbox. It's not that easy.
I'd pick 3th place. I'd rather take the money and stay home (for now).
Old 04-27-2004, 03:51 AM

And he has to make a decission fast

he has had since march 29th. that's not long enough?

Polly Polyurethane