Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 06:00 AM

Default bet the river? 99 with one overcard on the turn

the villain is very loose and passive

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($22.80)
SB ($39.90)
BB ($10)
UTG ($26.50)
MP ($39.50)
CO ($26.30)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.25.

Flop: ($2.10) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, CO calls $2.

Turn: ($6.10) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, CO calls $3.

River: ($12.10) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $12.10
Old 11-14-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Re: bet the river? 99 with one overcard on the turn

bet the turn more or check.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 AM

how much more? pot it?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:19 AM

Q7 wins 50% of the time

i re-raise preflop 1$more togo with pocket 9's
that way with the low flop you noone calls you more than likely calls you pot sized bet

if they still call and hit the queen, your probably get Check raised and atleast a bet on the river, no check raise, i bet the pot on the river, they more than likely fold
Old 11-14-2005, 06:20 AM

don't need to pot it on drawless board

if you think your LAP opponent will call you down with less than 99, (likely 7x in this case) by all means do so.

but I think river check is fine unless villan is ultra-LAP that showsdown A-high and bottom pair on regular basis.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:27 AM

yes, that would be my bet.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 AM

I think this is a pretty good spot for a river value bet.

I do it for a couple of reasons.

1) I think you are ahead and villain here has some random crap hand like 7x or even a worse pair, like pocket 5's or something.

2) If he folds one of those hands i'm ok with it because I want these people folding to my turn bets in the future and if they know they can call your smallish turn bet and get a free river they are liable to start doing so, and when you are continuation betting with air you are going to get more calls.

3) Betting with just 1 pair here that isn't even top pair is going to get you more action from people later with TP and you have a set/straight etc.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:11 AM

I like your river check for a reason that hasn't been discussed yet, but you will want to get familiar with before you get to the 100 tables and such.

Your play till the river seems good, yeilding a $12 pot, which is essentially half your stack. You have position on the villain with a probable winner, but really you have no idea where you are at. You could be ahead, but he limps (which I consider calling a min-raise to be in microlimits) with a very wide range of hands. He could have two pair, set, two big overs that includes a queen, miracle wheel, who knows. Standard bets in my experiences are in terms of the size of the pot. 2/3rds and 3/4ths are standards, with 1/2 being a quads like value bet. So your bet here should be about $8 or $9 if you choose to bet that river. If he has garbage, which often includes that 7x people were talking about, you win noting more. If he has you beat, which he probably does if he is calling 1/3 of a buyin at that table, then you lose a pretty big bet. And god forbid he decides to be cute and check shoves you there... Plus he has you covered...

Do you really want to make a decision like that in your spot?

Edit: Hockeyf is right, bet 4 on turn.