Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 02:22 PM

Default 3/6 Aces vs LP

BB is a TAG. CO is 60/0/.2 after 30 hands

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, BB thinks forever and calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

1) I probably wouldn't have three-bet had the BB not been giving me a good overlay.

2) I planned to fold any river that didn't give me two pair

Thoughts?
Old 10-27-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: 3/6 Aces vs LP

[ QUOTE ]
1) I probably wouldn't have three-bet had the BB not been giving me a good overlay.

[/ QUOTE ]
This depends just how passive CO is. If he wouldn't raise less than two pair, then you should just call despite BB being involved. If he could raise with just a pair of jacks (particularly with a flush draw) then the 3-bet is reasonable. This is not a player of average aggression - he is raising only his best hands from the stats you present, so I prefer a call unless you've seen him raise in this situation with a hand you beat.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good thinking given the turn action. If you hadn't 3-bet I think you should see a showdown (depending on BB's river action).
Old 10-27-2005, 11:53 PM

That turn is rough. I'm pretty sure a 3 bet is gold there since he still could just have a J. He's uber-passive so far so it looks like more than a J, but then again it is only 30 hands. Have you seen CO with this agression before now? Observing his hands at SD when you're not in the pot is crucial with these guys.

Unless you have better reason than his stats to go on with this (and this is only because it is relatively small) and no other reads, getting 14:1 on the river; I find a call. No way am I 95% (even more if BB calls river) certain that I'm beat here. I've been so surprised against these guys in the past at 3/6 that I'm really no longer surprised to see that MHIG. Folding for one more bet in this big of a pot is a costly mistake.

Obviously my river play is going to be different given the BB's action. He's definitely drawing to the flush or straight (he'd probably have an 8).
Old 10-28-2005, 12:11 AM

Some of these donks at 3-6 cap top pair good kicker, so I hate folding in big pots vs them when I can beat that. But still, this board is very co-ordinated, so things look really bad for you.

Also, dont act based on their reaction times all that much. Maybe he got a phone call at the time? Maybe he's playing more than one table? Maybe he is reading something online. Its generally better just to play good poker unless your reaction time read is very good on that particular player.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:37 AM

I would have 3-bet the turn as well. The river's though. You'll likely be getting 20-1 if BB calls. That's though to pass up given the online moron factor.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, dont act based on their reaction times all that much. Maybe he got a phone call at the time? Maybe he's playing more than one table? Maybe he is reading something online. Its generally better just to play good poker unless your reaction time read is very good on that particular player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember thinking that his waiting real long was odd, which probably means it's the first time he had done that. It's not 100% reliable info, but it's info

A TAG is probably 3-betting any hand that isn't crushed by me there anyway
Old 10-28-2005, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the online moron factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

River was the 4h, CO checked behind with J5. BB had KT

At least the BB would've folded to a CO river bet, so I wouldn't have seen the J5 if I folded too
Old 10-28-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the online moron factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

River was the 4h, CO checked behind with J5. BB had KT

At least the BB would've folded to a CO river bet, so I wouldn't have seen the J5 if I folded too

[/ QUOTE ]

A lesson in the fact that AF takes longer then 30 hands to converge. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I always try to remember that bad players aren't to be trusted. Someone who's playing 60% of their hands obviously has no idea what they're doing. So there's no reason to think that one hand they won't just go off with nothing because they think it would be fun.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:46 AM

this just underscores how agressive and ignorant many players are at 3/6. a cap is certainly to be taken seriously for the most part on later streets, but i'm shocked at how often i call, but barely and see some weird stuff like this.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BB is a TAG. CO is 60/0/.2 after 30 hands

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

please dont do that man. not at 3/6 on stars. You cant fold Aces in a pot this big for 1 more bet on the river unless maybe the jack of hearts came or something drastic like that. It's just too likely that he just hit his jack on the turn. And stats on 30 hands mean absolutely nothing. It's not enough hands to have a reliable read.

Other than you wanting to fold this, you played it perfectly.