Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Negreanu and Jesus

[/ QUOTE ]
Most atheists happen to be greedy though, although there are a few exceptions (barry greenstein like you mentioned) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an athiest. I know many athiests. Out of 12 I call friends, only 2 of them are greedy. Maybe I'm just lucky to hang with the generous ones.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, when Daniel told me he was sure the earth was less than 6000 years old, I suggested that he should take a look at the Grand Canyon, learn about carbon dating, or study astronomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Six thousand years old? Daniel! You don't have to believe in carbon dating or any other radiometric dating to refute that. You can count tree rings back beyond 12,000 years. Similar to counting tree rings, you can count annual layers in certain ice cores that go back several hundred thousand years. You can can also count annual sediment layers (called varves) in large lakes that go back several hundred thousand years.

We can also see numerous stars that are way more than 6,000 light-years away -- meaning that their light has been traveling toward us for way more than 6,000 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Daniel should listen to some Bill Hicks.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:52 PM

You know racism? Substitute theistic beliefs (or lack of them) for race and you've just nailed it. Apologies if you were joking. Also assuming you intended "greedy" as bad, not just concerned with self interest. There is nothing wrong with attending to self interest.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The weirdest thing though is that DN thinks the earth is only 6000 years old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have a link where he actually wrote this? Many people believe that PEOPLE are only 6,000 years old but few believe that the WORLD is 6,000 years old. There is a huge difference.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 03-10-2005, 04:02 PM

Or atheism is a crutch for people who are afraid that there is an afterlife.

See how that works both ways?

Can't we all just get along people?

I can't believe that there are people on both sides that are so insecure in their own belief system that they have to ridicule the other side of the issue.

Just my .02

twomarks
Old 03-10-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The weirdest thing though is that DN thinks the earth is only 6000 years old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have a link where he actually wrote this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Right in this thread, Barry Greenstein wrote that Daniel said it to him.

[ QUOTE ]
Many people believe that PEOPLE are only 6,000 years old but few believe that the WORLD is 6,000 years old. There is a huge difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been arguing with Creationists in many different forums for a long time. I've never come across anyone who believes that people are only 6,000 years old while the earth is much older. We have human fossils and artifacts that are much older than 6,000 years. We have cave drawings from more than 20,000 years ago. If a person is going to reject that evidence for religious reasons, he's probably going to reject the evidence for an old earth as well.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe that there are people on both sides that are so insecure in their own belief system that they have to ridicule the other side of the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." -- Jack Handy
Old 03-10-2005, 04:08 PM

While these are all excellent points which refute New Earth Creationism, they are simply ignored by the New Earth Creationists or refuted with a simple "With God anything is possible." Old Earth Creationists on the other hand at least have worked their beliefs and try to use God's hand to explain scientific evidence, and that's fine.

But if someone is brought up believing the Earth is 6,000 years old, or in the case of Daniel began believing that a few years ago there is just no chance to convince them without owning a time machine, since for whatever reason they can't see that faith in God isn't incompatible with knowledge of science.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:08 PM

I take serious offense to all of this. Being an up-tight greedy Christian myself, I find it very offensive that you atheist deny me my right to be up-tight, greedy, and intelligent while at the same time having a belief system that doesn't agree with yours.

twomarks
Old 03-10-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most atheists happen to be greedy though, although there are a few exceptions (barry greenstein like you mentioned) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, as long as you're painting with that broad brush, are there any other groups you'd like to stereotype? Jews? Chinese? Freemasons? You're obviously an expert on these things...