Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-18-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Calling a possibly loose over-raise all-in with nines

Kind of new to MTT's. Not sure how reasonable this is, or if it's an easy fold. Villain in this hand seems a bit loose in the few hands I've been at this table for. He's also had to lay down a couple recent hands to my raises. This is one of the stars 180 player SNG's. There's approximately 45 people left at this point, and I believe I was 5th in chips. I don't really care about just making the money.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

Button (t4340)
SB (t4715)
BB :#A500AF(Villain)/ (t8245)
UTG (t9227)
UTG+1 (t2975)
Hero (t11773)
MP2 (t4045)
MP3 (t4525)
CO (t5575)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to t8220</font>, Hero....

My thinking was he didn't seem like the type to overpush like that with Aces or Kings. I figured at worst he had 2 overs and there was at least a decent chance he has 1 overcard, or even a smaller pair. Js and Tens are a possibility, too, I think.

Like I said, I'm not too big into MTT's, mostly a limit ring or Sit and Go player. For you MTT vets, is this an easy call? An easy fold with a big chip stack? I really have no idea what is optimal in this situation for MTT's.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Calling a possibly loose over-raise all-in with nines

WHAT!!! *** GET THE [censored] OUTTA HERE
Old 12-18-2005, 01:02 AM

Fair enough.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:18 AM

not fair. But this is a fold. An interesting question to ask might be, at what stack size for yourself does this make it a call? Strip everyones stack size down propotionately of course. bah i dont know, thats probably bad to ask [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 01:26 AM

Thanks, I was hoping to get an actual intelligent answer.

I guess I just ruled out AA, KK, and QQ mentally. I probably shouldn't have done that, since I played so few hands against him. But it just didn't seem like he'd over bet a big hand like that.

Is it my stack size that makes this a fold? Not willing to risk 70% of a big stack in a situation that's likely a coinflip? Your question as to what stack sizes make it an appropriate call I think is interesting as well. I don't think I have the multi experience to comment.

For the record, I thought a long while, and I did call. He showed AKo and grabbed a king on the flop.

Thanks for a legit answer.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:18 AM

There is missing info to form an answer specifically, what are the blinds??

What is the average stack? If startchips are T1500 and there are 45 left avgstack is T6000. In that case you gave a 2X average stack.

This is an AUTOMATIC fold. The raiser has a 1.3X avgstack and makes an all-in (100% at risk) bet. What do think he is doing that for?? To push you off with a big bet and some cheesy hand?? He's got something.

My question #1 is, what is the purpose of your T600 raise? I assume the big blind is T150 or T300 (unspecified here so guessing).

My question #2 is, what is your INADVANCE plan for handling any reraise??

You have absolutely no reason to call this. It's all-in and you cannot play him off the flop later. You have a 2X avgstack and have no immediate need to take any shots. Your 99 faces 20 overs in the deck out of 50. (All teh T,J,Q,K and A cards). 99 is nothing to be proud of in this spot given you chip count. (If you had a below avg stack or a stack below 15 bets, you can go for it. Why go from chip lead to crippled cinflip loser in just one hand at thsi stage of the event?? I can't think of ANY reason to call this here.

What was the PURPOSE of your T600 opening raise?? Where are you going with this raise? Any idea? Every bet needs a contingency plan. Without that, you will find yourself doing some implusive and very stupid things, for example: calling here.

If the purpose of your raise was to tease/antagonize the good hand(s) behind you to identify themselves, you just achived your objective. T600 lost represents a 1/2 of 1 percent stack loss.

You fold automatically.

Note:

If the re-raise pusher was a small (no threat to you) and small enough, you MUST take a shot at him. He's not. He's a threat. Call and lose and you go from Hero to goat in one bet.

If you call and win this, others in the know are going to start taking shots at you. Do you really want all kinds of lose action from midsize and largestacks observant enough to notice you flipped a coin for 75% of your huge 2X avgstack?? If that's what you want, by all means call this.

The fold is AUTOMATIC.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:30 PM

I was in a Stars MTT tournament and made a similar call, but the situation was different. I still think it was a mistake. I limped with 8s from MP. SB pushes all-in. I have him out-chipped 3-1 and am the chip leader. Blinds are $400-800 and I have $13,000. He pushes. I go into the tank and call. He shows jacks, which hold up. All downhill from there. The classic big dog/small favorite dilemma. I ended up in third when my all-in with Q-6 was called by 5-4 suited which, of course, became a flush on the river. My usual rule on small-medium pairs is to see a cheap flop for a set or drop it. Don't want to find out I'm a 4-1 dog after I've pushed a big chunk of my stack into the pot. Is that too wimpy?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:33 PM

This is a very different scenario from the post because:

1. T800=bigblind, he has ~T4000 so he has only 5 bets left. Here he is supposed to be desparate and likely playing a substandard hand.

2. You have him outchipped 3:1 (13000/4000)which is quite different from the 1.5:1 (12K/8K)

These two scenarios ( the post on the 99 and the 88 here) are not really apples to apples for these reasons.