Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Flopped nuts with lots of draws on the board...

Omaha Hi/Lo Game Table (PL)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: DiamondDavo ( $30.06)
Seat 2: tomahawk1 ( $27.05)
Seat 3: jay727 ( $24.80)
Seat 4: assAAssin ( $14.82)
Seat 5: ollie8148 ( $14.38)
Seat 6: bybop ( $19.78)
Seat 7: SilverNugget ( $78.62)
Seat 8: IFoldedKings ( $27.24)
Seat 9: freshice ( $25)
Seat 10: Hero ( $31.41)
tomahawk1 posts small blind (0.10)
jay727 posts big blind (0.25)

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to Hero [ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
assAAssin calls (0.25)
ollie8148 folds.
bybop calls (0.25)
SilverNugget calls (0.25)
IFoldedKings calls (0.25)
freshice calls (0.25)
Hero calls (0.25)
DiamondDavo calls (0.25)
tomahawk1 folds.
jay727 checks.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]

jay727 checks.
assAAssin checks.
bybop bets (2)
SilverNugget folds.
IFoldedKings calls (2)
freshice calls (2)
Hero raises (12) to 12
DiamondDavo folds.
jay727 folds.
assAAssin raises (14.57) to 14.57
assAAssin is all-In.
bybop raises (17.53) to 19.53
bybop is all-In.
IFoldedKings folds.
freshice raises (22.75) to 24.75
freshice is all-In.
Hero?

I'm new to omaha/8 and I'm having the most trouble with situations like these where I have a decent high but no draw to the low. My first question is, am I right to pot when it comes to me the first time on the flop and do I have enough equity to call against this many players after it's re-raised to me? In this situation they are all-in but what if they still have another 25-30 behind it?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Flopped nuts with lots of draws on the board...

This is a hand I would bet, but probably not raise with on the flop. I don't mind getting all in or seeing a fairly cheap turn where I would push really hard on a safe card, but I don't want to put in a lot of money with more left to bet on later streets. Still, in a multiway push fest though you are getting a nice overlay and are likely getting a nice equity advantage here. I would call the all-ins.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:50 PM

I agree with everything. Well spoken!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:43 PM

I prefer just calling the flop and getting chips in on a brick turn card (non-heart, non-low); nobody will suspect you have a set and you'll get paid. A raise here can be -EV pretty easily.

But by the time you've raised and gotten reraised, a call is trivial.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a hand I would bet, but probably not raise with on the flop. I don't mind getting all in or seeing a fairly cheap turn where I would push really hard on a safe card, but I don't want to put in a lot of money with more left to bet on later streets. Still, in a multiway push fest though you are getting a nice overlay and are likely getting a nice equity advantage here. I would call the all-ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paperchamp - you've also got to remember that this was a table full of tards. Guess which tard was yours truly and you win a free pat on the back.

The two donks who pushed on this flop were loose idiots, so calling was the right play.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:40 PM

"I prefer just calling the flop and getting chips in on a brick turn card (non-heart, non-low); nobody will suspect you have a set and you'll get paid. A raise here can be -EV pretty easily."

Exactly. This is Chapter 3 on "Wait until the Turn when you have a set!" Two dimes data suggest that if you're facing a premium hand (flush draw with nut low draw and counterfeit protection), you're at a disadvantage. If Villain "just" has nut low/nut flush draw, it's a coin flip. If Villain has junk, a case for calling could be made in that it doesn't blow Villain out. Maybe he thinks whatever junk he has is good since you just called. You could have anything, really. Now when the turn comes high he gets bombed when he's clearly the dog.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer just calling the flop and getting chips in on a brick turn card (non-heart, non-low); nobody will suspect you have a set and you'll get paid. A raise here can be -EV pretty easily.

But by the time you've raised and gotten reraised, a call is trivial.

[/ QUOTE ]