Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 11:56 PM

Default I may not ever make a MTT FT

I may never make a mtt final table, i have been playing mtt's alot for the last 3-4 months, prob average 4-5 a week. I am yet to make a final table. I play anywhere from 5.50's to 20+2's. I have been knocked out in about 70 percent of them on races, have been knocked out 15 percent when I have had a big hand cracked, AA,KK etc...and then the other 15 percent have been when I donk out. It just seems like I can never get lucky, win the key hand to get my chipstack to the level where I can smoothly make the final table. I have 1 FT in PL Omaha and that is it....any advice would be great since alot of you are very good at mtt's...

btw i play mainly on stars...

Dougan
Old 11-30-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: I may not ever make a MTT FT

Post hands you have questions about. Without seeing how you play its difficult to give you advice. You might be playing too passively on the bubble or making countless other mistakes.

MTTs can be extremely frustrating. You can play perfect poker for 3 hours, have a good stack and then get sucked out on before the money gets significant. Just keep pushing your edges and you'll eventually have a breakout tournament.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:03 AM

Hang in there, it takes practice. Maybe stay more towards the $5-10 dollar tournaments so you can preserve your bankroll until you can make deep more often.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:32 AM

i thought the same way... but then i got lucky tonight and am in one right now... stick to it, and you'll make one
Old 11-30-2005, 01:44 AM

Another suggestion: Play smaller (field wise) tournaments. Aren't most tournaments on Stars 1000+?

Try some odd hour tournaments on UB for instance. 10 AM $5+.5 1200 guaranteed, so that's 240 entrants to meet the guarantee, so you could probably expect 300 or so. That's a LOT smaller field.

I prefer tournaments in the 200-300 person range.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:56 AM

I don't exactly what sample size you are dealing with, or how big the fields are. If it is only 5 a week of large (+300) sized tournaments, not making a final table yet, is pretty normal. You can't expect to make the FT all that often-- its real hard.

However, assuming that you are dealing with an adequate sample size, you are losing because you arent good enough to be winning. It is not because you arent lucky, it is because you are playing poorly, and as a result you are losing. Pretty simple stuff no?

Chances are if you are consantly finding yourself waiting waiting waiting, and finally getting yourself in with a small stack- but the best hand- you are doing something wrong. Maybe you arent gamboooling enough early on, and therefore can't build a stack to survive the late stages, and be able to take a few hits to your stack.

Don't ever blame what you percieve to be long term losses on luck.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:14 AM

it goes in streaks

i had 4 fts and top 4 finishes in february

and no cash multi final tables until november

but 5 this month.

takes a lot of luck and goood play to get through these things man- keep your head up.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:05 PM

play some 5 table SnG's at stars. thats the best place to practice up for big fields IMO. once i got to the point where i was confident i could work my way through 45 people on a steady and consistent basis my results in bigger fields improved greatly.

it's very difficult. one day the key hands will go your way and it'll feel easy.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:10 PM

4-5 a week is really small sample size. I would recommend improving your game by multi-tabling the micro MTT's rather than single tabling a higher buyin. 2 tabling or more.

read HOH 1 & 2.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:59 PM

Most of the field sizes are mainly 1000+, I seem to maybe play a little too tight and just wait for the big hands...the sample size is deffiantly small. I just have been frustrated by not having any luck. I am mainly a sng player and a small cash player, i do very well in the sng's (10+1 & 20+2) but mtt's just seem to be haunting me....I do not like to play too many mtt's because of the variance and do not want to break my bankroll either, but I play them because if you do FT one of them the payout can be very nice.

Dougan