Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Unusual semi bluff, good or bad

PStars .5/1. I'm in the big blind with ~110, MP has 70, SB just sat and bought in the max. (But he's not important)

I get dealt 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Folded to MP, who raises to 4$. SB calls, I call. Pot 12$ minus rake.

I've never played with SB, MP is aggressive who likes to open raise when folded to him with a wide array of hands, but he's a good player.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, I check, MP bets 12, SB quickly folds. I push.

Comments appreciated...
Old 11-07-2004, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Unusual semi bluff, good or bad

i really like it.

of course its a huge gamble, but i think its a good spot for it. hes going to be hard pressed to call you with anything less than 2 pair. you have to know that he's capable of folding AK though to try this.

if he calls with a high ace you have 6 outs which isn't that bad. if you lose, this is decent advertising.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:08 PM

Default Results / Bump

Well... Maybe I was the only one who felt this was a semi interesting hand. Perhaps my results will induce a little bit more discussion, as people here do better with results oriented thoughts.

He called after using a tiny bit of time bank, I hit my 4 on the river.
He had AQo...

As for the semibluff, even though I got lucky and won, I dont know if this was a good move or not. I liked it even though I got lucky, but he ranted at me for a tiny bit of time. (Saying he "knew" I had a set but thought I could've had a weaker ace, too... He really didn't expect to see 4s I think) I feel my all in here folds a bunch of hands of which he'd raise with, (such as 9s to Ks) and maybe fold a weaker Ace. (He would open raise with AJ, but if he called with AQ, I think he calls with AJ, too; I didn't expect him to fold an ace in this spot, but I also wasn't TOO far behind an ace) He also would've open raised with something like KQ, first to enter, and fire at the pot as the PFR, so I expected he would fold that, too.

Hopefully this sparks like one or two more posts.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:23 PM

no, really bad.

you know mp very likely has a high ace. the last thing you want to be doing in lower nl games is trying to make bad players fold top pair hands. i wouldnt even make this move if the game was 3/6 and knew the player is capable of folding hands. the risk/reward is way out of whack here. also consider that many players wont fold any ace hand here. last, this is pretty much a pure bluff, not a semi bluff.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:33 PM

against a high ace he is 25% to win at showdown. id say that qualifies this as a semi-bluff
Old 11-08-2004, 10:00 PM

I think that this is a great play under certain circumstances. Against an unknown player, obviously it's not ideal. But against the type of agressive player who may well be raising with a wide variety of hands both pre and post-flop, it's a good agressive play. I'd also second the comment that you need to know that you're playing a guy capable of laying down an ace with a high kicker.

To sum up, in the situation you describe, I like the play.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:22 PM

I can't believe anyone agrees with you on this play. Sure, you would probably bluff a pocket pair here, but there's no way an Ace is folding here. And furthermore, there's no reason to push. Why risk your whole stack on the hope that he doesn't have AK AQ AJ whatever?

Bob
Old 11-08-2004, 10:40 PM

You really think theres no way a high ace would fold this? I wouldn't believe that...
Old 11-08-2004, 10:54 PM

I agree with BK. Its low EV. You are throwing in $66 to win $24 if he folds. Bad odds, even with a few outs. He could already have a set and then you have only 4 outs.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:00 PM

Terrible, dont ever do that again.

You are semi bluffing with like 6 outs at best. You are essentially bluffing.