Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 04:06 AM

Default AJo in Early Position

This hand was played in an online 15/30 game.

A rather unknown player with a very large stack limped UTG. I think he is fairly solid but I don't know for sure. I called with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] two seats to the left of him. One player limped in late position, and the blinds played.

Flop came A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and it was checked to UTG who bet. I raised. It was folded to UTG who 3-bet. I called. The turn was the 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG bet again and I called. The river was the 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and we both checked.

Comments?

--- Chris Callahan
Old 01-14-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: AJo in Early Position

looks good i would be the river.
Dave
Old 01-14-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: AJo in Early Position

[ QUOTE ]
looks good i would be the river.
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not at all convinced hero has a value bet here. Unless we put the villain on exactly A9s, what do you think he would play this strongly that is both A) worse than hero's hand and B) will pay off on the river? You'll never in a million years fold out AT or AQ and A8s rivered two pair. I can't see the villain playing KK or QQ like this.

If the villain was coming on strong with a pair and a flush draw (TdJd) or a gutshot and a flush draw (QdJd), he got there. I don't know if this villain would actually go for a river check-raise with his flush but it's a though. Pretty much any reasonable Ace that might limp under the gun got there or is splitting with the hero.

I'm curious what range of hands everyone puts the villain on.

SpaceAce