Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Why is there a chat box?

I usually play with the chat off as I multi-table and don't feel like typing "ty" every time I win a hand, but whenever I turn it on all I see is: "How do you call with that", "Moran" "FU" "nice catch fish", etc.

Basically it is a bunch of retards hiding behind their monitors being brave and insulting who ever beats them.

I even got insulted one time when my 25o BB was called by 4 players and with a flop of 225 I won a big pot and cracked Aces. The guy that slow played AA type “nice hand fish” :-) as always I abstained from saying anything but back to my question:

Why do we need a chat box?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Why is there a chat box?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
so we can hide behind our computer screens and insult people that we have very little chance of meeting in real life
Old 10-17-2005, 01:50 AM

I find it occasionally helpful for finding fish who love to go on and on about their bad beats etc..
You will see this MUCH less the higher you move up in limits, but it is still +EV IMHO to keep this feature on (granted I RARELY use it to reply)
Old 10-17-2005, 02:47 AM

The chat box sometimes give useful information about your opponents. Especially when they discuss hands and make it obvious that they have no idea what they are talking about.
But mostly it's just for fishcakes to vent their frustration over being beaten.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:48 AM

I agree with the first reply. The chat box is there for the world of the spineless. Orginally the chat box was to give appreciation for nice plays and hands. Now, it's nothing more than an insult box.
You'll find that some members on this site aren't much better than the people who called you a " fish". Personally, I think your making the right move by keeping the chat box off.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:20 AM

Old 10-17-2005, 12:50 PM

We don't need it, but I keep it on because it provides valuable information about who's an idiot (even before their play exposes them), on tilt, etc. One night a guy was so busy explaining how 9/11 was a government conspiracy that he had no time to play his hand and the rest of us took his money while he went on and on about it.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:00 PM

I was at a table yesterday where one of the best donaters was chatting with no response from anyone and finally he typed, "if no one responds I'm leaving."

I instantly struck up a conversation. I pretended to be as dumb as him. Some would say that wouldn't be much of an act.

Anyhow he stayed and dropped another 20BB.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually play with the chat off as I multi-table and don't feel like typing "ty" every time I win a hand, but whenever I turn it on all I see is: "How do you call with that", "Moran" "FU" "nice catch fish", etc.

Basically it is a bunch of retards hiding behind their monitors being brave and insulting who ever beats them.

I even got insulted one time when my 25o BB was called by 4 players and with a flop of 225 I won a big pot and cracked Aces. The guy that slow played AA type “nice hand fish” :-) as always I abstained from saying anything but back to my question:

[/ QUOTE ]

I copy and paste from the T&C "Abusive language will not be tolerated.. blah blah"

This puts them on instant tilt... They continue being abusive and I continue pasting it until they shut up. Amazingly... Most of them do... It has been VERY effective!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:06 AM

Anybody that plays with me knows I probably spend more time chatting at the tables than paying attention to the games [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Chatting keeps my job from getting boring lol

-THE_EN1GMA