Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: For the Poker Room.... BEER

I keep getting mail from them about those things. I'm trying to resist, but there's an empty wall in my useless dining room that needs filled.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:14 PM

I HATE these things. One is just an expensove apartment fridge and the other (vending machine) is a total waste of space. If you haven't already - cozy up to one of your local bar owners, a lot of times you can get a used reach in for $50 or $100 - colder and lots more space.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:47 PM

Building a keg fridge was pretty much the easiest project I've ever undertaken. If you can drill a hole, you can convert a refrigerator into a keg fridge (keep in mind I bought this fridge for $10 on eBay, I'm sure you could find a nicer one for more $$, but this one works just fine):

Old 05-23-2005, 01:04 AM

Tip, the line needs to always go UP out of the keg. You will get bubbles trapped int he line otherwise. Then when you push it out you get BEER->FOAM_EJECTA->FOAMY_BEER.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tip, the line needs to always go UP out of the keg. You will get bubbles trapped int he line otherwise. Then when you push it out you get BEER->FOAM_EJECTA->FOAMY_BEER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just noticed this now. It's hard to tell from the pic, but the line does go up out of the keg. No problems with foamy beer in my house! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2005, 08:33 AM

Am I the only one that thinks tap beer tastes awful compared to its bottled counterpart?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that thinks tap beer tastes awful compared to its bottled counterpart?

[/ QUOTE ]

bahahaha-hohohoh-heheheheheh-hahahahaha.... thanks man! I needed a good laugh.

Seriously though, you must be referring to "Keystone Light" or something, because no REAL bear comes out of a bottle. Sure, lots of micros and imports are bottled but actual, real beer is hardly carbonated, hand pumped out of the keg and isn't kept under pressure... there's just enough nitrogen on top to keep the oxygen off of it. Yes, I'm a beer nerd.

Poor tasting American lagers from the tap can usually be traced to dirty lines or tavern heads. Poor tasting micros are usually due to an improperly cleaned keg. Don't worry, the nastiness can't really hurt you, no known pathogen can survive in beer.

Good beer from microbreweries or Europe are much more flavorful on tap, usually because the bottled/canned counterpart is filtered more than the tap beer. They have to do this because bottling/cannig is an imperfect container. Cans are a far superior container for beer than bottles, less oxygen and zero light pollution. Ask just about any Budweiser drinker though, and they'll tell you that the bottled beer is "better" than the canned beer. No one ever accused bud drinkers of having taste though.

And I can't wait for the flames on this one but I'll go out on a limb here:
Pabst Blue Ribbon is far and away the best of the piss-yellow beers. It actually has body and flavor, very surprising for a beer made with rice and corn (very little grain in it). The product consistency is also quite odd, seeing as PBR doesn't actually own a brewhouse, they just contract brew through AB, Coors, etc.

Don't forget guys: fizzy yellow beer is for wussies... might as well have a Zima, chicks dig it. heh.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I can't wait for the flames on this one but I'll go out on a limb here:
Pabst Blue Ribbon is far and away the best of the piss-yellow beers. It actually has body and flavor, very surprising for a beer made with rice and corn (very little grain in it). The product consistency is also quite odd, seeing as PBR doesn't actually own a brewhouse, they just contract brew through AB, Coors, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree that PBR is the best of the American lagers (OK, piss-beers if you will...). Used to be made right in Milwaukee -- the "new" PBR uses the same recipe and with good quality control. We bought a couple of cases of PBR long necks last summer on a trip to Wisconsin, and savored them like fine wine all winterlong. Nah, just kiddin about the savoring part. We tried to wait but drank the sh*t out of them as soon as we could.

Wifey-dear loves PBR, and you know what they say: "Beer is good for a guy... when your girl is drinking it!"
Old 05-24-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree that PBR is the best of the American lagers (OK, piss-beers if you will...).

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think of Yuengling?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree that PBR is the best of the American lagers (OK, piss-beers if you will...).

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think of Yuengling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I should have said best of the mainstream beers. I meant the commercially-available store-bought beers. There are certainly lots of good small-brewery lagers out there.

As far as Yuengling, I can't comment because I haven't tried it.