Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Really Confusing Line By Villain

From a 180 SnG on Stars. I've opened very few pots so far, showing down only KK and AA. I (correctly) called a large all-in over my continuation bet on an 89J flop when I had KK, the AA was all-in pre-flop. The only other pot I played so far I won without a showdown out of the the BB. No reads on Villain.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

BB (t2535)
UTG (t5560)
UTG+1 (t2170)
MP1 (t1675)
Hero (t6070)
CO (t2930)
Button (t3717)
SB (t2595)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t125, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t350) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, SB calls t400.

Turn: (t1550) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1550) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t650</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2200

His line here really confused me. I didn't think he would lead out a K on the flop, so I thought either a set, a J, or QT was most likely. My raise was mostly to find out where I stand and put me in control on the turn- I was planning on folding to a push.

The A on the turn is a mixed bag. I'm now ahead of KJ, but I don't think that's among his more likely holdings. If he had QT or a set, then this is actually a trap card for me. I check behind to keep the pot small.

The river K pretty much seals it for me, I think- hard to see what I'm ahead of at this point. I don't like folding when I can't put Villain on a particular hand, but here I think I'm way behind his range. What do you put him on? What do you think of my line?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Really Confusing Line By Villain

I don't mind your flop raise, so long as you realize you're checking behind on pretty much 90% of turns and calling the river. Also, I like that you have no read on villain but don't think he'd bet a king. I wish all my non-reads were like that.

Okay, you hit your ace. If he has QT, and the river is a blank, you're calling his bet of 1K-1200. If you bet 800 now and get checkraised...you can fold (yes you can, because exactly one realistic hand you beat/one you tie and a whole bunch of ones you don't play like that) for a few hundred less chips. You also get a ton of value out of KQ, KT, QJ, spade draws, etc. etc. etc. whether they fold or call. You have to bet this street, and it's really not close.

Given you checked, the river is marginal and I don't horribly mind your fold, but I would probably call it in case of a lone jack (which is an entirely plausible hand for him to have given he doesn't think you have an ace.)
Old 12-06-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Really Confusing Line By Villain

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind your flop raise, so long as you realize you're checking behind on pretty much 90% of turns and calling the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the plan.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I like that you have no read on villain but don't think he'd bet a king. I wish all my non-reads were like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nothing specific about the player, I just more frequently see people checking top pair to the pre-flop raiser in these tournaments. It's not out of the question, I just don't think it's his most likely holding.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, you hit your ace. If he has QT, and the river is a blank, you're calling his bet of 1K-1200. If you bet 800 now and get checkraised...you can fold (yes you can, because exactly one realistic hand you beat/one you tie and a whole bunch of ones you don't play like that) for a few hundred less chips. You also get a ton of value out of KQ, KT, QJ, spade draws, etc. etc. etc. whether they fold or call. You have to bet this street, and it's really not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good analysis, thanks. I think you're absolutely right.

[ QUOTE ]
Given you checked, the river is marginal and I don't horribly mind your fold, but I would probably call it in case of a lone jack (which is an entirely plausible hand for him to have given he doesn't think you have an ace.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's likely to lead a lone J after my raise on the flop, I'm pretty sure I was behind. Thanks for the suggestion concerning the turn raise, though, your explanation makes a lot of sense.