Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 12:10 PM

Default New York City Trip Report

Ok, so I'm a total tourist in New York City. Even though I grew up near Philadelphia, I've only been there a few times. Me and my friends took a trip on the Friday after Thanksgiving and had a great time doing the touristy stuff and getting loaded before seeing Jimmy Norton do standup (which was hilarious).

Arrived early afternoon on an NJ Transit train packed with tons of Black Friday shoppers. Walked for about 20 minutes to get to our hotel, passing a few peep shows and other assorted attractions on the way (one guy we saw rushing out of one of them with his head down was a dead ringer for the guy Jim Carrey feeds hot sauce to in Dumb and Dumber).

Checked into the Quality Hotel in Times Square whree we acquired "luxorious" accomodations for a paltry $300 a night. We walked around, touring Restaurant Row and the surrounding streets before settling on a random Italian place that was pretty good (a little pricey, but not too bad). I had Asparagus Gnocchi in a cream cheese sauce with other goodies (plus a spinach and goat cheese salad which was tasty). Wandered next door to the "Xansi Bar" (I don't know what this bar's deal was, kinda preppy, but the bartender was a hot brunette). We decided there would be no more beer for the night so we took turns buying shot rounds - first Orange Stoli (22 for 3), then Rumplemintz, Padron Tequilla (espresso something) for 10 a shot and some other ones. We had an hour to kill before this comedy show we saw and we're already three sheets.

Comedy show was very funny and I don't remember alot except I laughed my ass off the whole time. Norton had one bit about p**ker, in which he complained he was tired of hearing about it.

"My friend asked me if I wanted to play Hold Em (whiny voice and he repeats it a bunck). I told him he could take my di*k and balls and hold them in his mouth." You prob had to be there.

After the show, went over to the Blue Fin at the W, a very ritzy bar that doesn't do shots. So I ordered a bunch of drinks neat and got trashed, meeting some cool peeps from DC and betting on the age of a "lesbian couple" along the way (it was a push). Turns out they weren't even gay, but were extremely cool.

Finished off the night at that revolving bar that overlooks the city and the spinning made me want to puke but I drank more. Expensive place, but a must see at least once.

Ending the night with a hot dog at 3 am and 5 hrs of drunken sleep. Woke up, went to Stage Deli, had a $14 western omelette (and some of my bud's corn beef sandwich) before going home. Realize I quickly need an ATM.

Very fun though.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: New York City Trip Report

Nice. What kind of bar doesn't serve shots! I seriously have never heard of this.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:50 PM

jim norton = meh
Old 11-30-2005, 02:58 PM

Jeffage,

Wow dude, how do you visit NYC and not leave Midtown????

Dirty,

I Agree

TP
Old 11-30-2005, 03:04 PM

I only had one night and no time to consult the OOT crew or plan better. Next time, I will plan ahead, get dinner and drinking reservations, etc. In either case, I did the tourist thing and had fun throwing lots of money around.

P.S. The hot bartender at Blue Fin said "It's not that kind of bar" but "Orange Stoli Neat" is probably a better deal anyway.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Arrived early afternoon on an NJ Transit train packed with tons of Black Friday shoppers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you explain it this way if they were White Friday shoppers??? Racist.

MDoranD
Old 11-30-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Arrived early afternoon on an NJ Transit train packed with tons of Black Friday shoppers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you explain it this way if they were White Friday shoppers??? Racist.

MDoranD

[/ QUOTE ]

The white shoppers don't take the train.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:09 PM

Umm...just in case this isn't a joke, "Black Friday" is just the big shopping day on the Friday following Thanksgiving. There were plenty of white people on the train, myself included.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice. What kind of bar doesn't serve shots! I seriously have never heard of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of upscale bars don't do shots. Generally these are the types of bars which suck, but there is a rare exception.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm...just in case this isn't a joke, "Black Friday" is just the big shopping day on the Friday following Thanksgiving. There were plenty of white people on the train, myself included.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be concerned if someone didnt think this was a joke.

MDoranD