Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 08:18 PM

Default I think I did the right thing against 2 made straights.

Will Hill £.5/£1 10 handed, loose table, but no maniacs or wild aggression- In fact, quite passive.

I got shouted at a lot after this hand. I've been making a big effort since reading SSH to count all my outs, including hidden ones. Did I do right?

I'm In MP2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop: MP1, Hero, MP3, CO, SB call. BB checks. 6SB

Thoughts: Standard?

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Action: SB, BB. MP1 check, I bet, All but MP1 call.
11 SB

Thoughts: OK, so why bet? Passive table, an I think there'll be a lot of calls. I've got 8 clean outs, plus an ace and a b'door flush. I doubt the 3 9's would do me any good, but even then I think I've got enough equity to raise.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Action: SB checks, BB bets, I call, MP3 calls, CO raises, SB calls and is all in for £1, BB re-raises, I call, MP3 folds, CO caps, BB calls, I call.

Thoughts: When it comes round to me 3-bet, I know two things. First, SB has a 5, second, It's coming back to me capped, so if I call it's effectively three to me.

I hate being squeezed like this.

OK, dickwad, think: you've got 4 10's, a couple of fives, and spades to turn it around. Which gives me ... oooh, a lot of outs (yes, this is how I actually think at the table.) So I call.

Reconstructing afterwards- I think it's nine to one when it comes back to me or 6 to 1 if I count the inevitable cap. Either way i've got to call, for the flush alone, right?

The river was a red 5 and I was happy and the other two were most unhappy with me.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: I think I did the right thing against 2 made straights.

Just because you sucked out doesn't mean you did anything wrong.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:30 PM

raise preflop. rest is good hand played incredibly standard. well done.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 PM

Nice hand. With four ppl putting in four bets on the turn, you're not losing any value. You played it fine - don't be results oriented
Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 PM

I would be inclined to raise this preflop, especially on the tight-ass cryptos where everybody's just bonus whoring.

Flop bet is pretty standard.

Now everybody wakes up on the turn. You obviously don't have the best hand but you have 9 spades, 4 tens, and 4 fives to make your hand. I would immediately discount at least one five due to the action because you are almost positive someone has made a straight with all the action. So lets say you have 16 outs, which is about 2-1. There is no way your call is not +EV here and you might want to think about being the aggressor here.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:33 PM

I was wondering why you said the following things which seem inconsistent. On the flop bet: I've got 8 clean outs. Are you not discounting the club's which complete your straight?

Then on the turn:

you've got 4 10's, a couple of fives, and spades to turn it around. Which gives me ... oooh, a lot of outs.

Why count 4 10's but only 2 5's? Did you think 2 5's were already out? And are you not discouting the clubs?

Against 5 people on the turn your spades alone are about enough to make this call but wondering what you do if the 5clubs comes.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:42 PM

Thanks everyone- very reasuring. I thought my decision was right but there was a fair bit of hissy fitting that made me want to check!

BTW, Crypto £.5/£1 isn't tight- It's much looser than the $1/$2 equiv because on most it doesn't count for bonuses.

The difference is stark. something like 30% ave players/flop at $1/$2 and 55% players/flop at £.5/£1. I've only recently moved there so only have 3k hands, but the difference is really startling.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, Crypto £.5/£1 isn't tight- It's much looser than the $1/$2 equiv because on most it doesn't count for bonuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play on the euro tables but I stole at least 10-20BB (in 300 hands) on Saturday doing my monthly $50 bonus whoring on PokerPlex just raising when it was folded to me and making continuation bets.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:47 PM

Truthfully, on flop I wasn't counting the clubs. You're right- I should have done.

On Turn. I put the two raisers on a 5, again I didn't really think about discounting my club outs.

If the 5 c had come... Well, I don't think I'd be putting either of these two on a club flush draw- but I'd probably call a 3-bet not cap. As it was, with the board straight, there was no action other than my bet and their calls.