Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 07:17 PM

Default ok vs an unknown?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

i 3bet the flop so i could get to a showdown cheaper and/or protect my hand...
Old 09-27-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: ok vs an unknown?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

given the hand it doesn't make sense. you only want to get to showdown cheaper if its probable you are behind. and if you are behind he will cap and lead or check-raise you on the turn.

you can't check behind on the turn either if he just calls your 3bet because theres a million draws on that board.

so i really don't like the flop 3bet. i'd just call down after the flop raise i think?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

given the hand it doesn't make sense. you only want to get to showdown cheaper if its probable you are behind. and if you are behind he will cap and lead or check-raise you on the turn.

you can't check behind on the turn either if he just calls your 3bet because theres a million draws on that board.

so i really don't like the flop 3bet. i'd just call down after the flop raise i think?

[/ QUOTE ]

0-liner
Old 09-27-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

0-liner

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get it...but what do you think of my line?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i should have mentioned this, but i thought it was implied - i don't mind if he caps because i can easily fold a turn that doesn't help me, and that's cheaper than if i just call call call and get shown a king.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:44 PM

NLSoldier and baronzeus are the same people, he just replies in the same threads to reinforce whatever that luckbox baronzeus has to say.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i should have mentioned this, but i thought it was implied - i don't mind if he caps because i can easily fold a turn that doesn't help me, and that's cheaper than if i just call call call and get shown a king.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if he caps with a worse hand?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like what? AcQc? it's unlikely i think.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:20 PM

"i 3bet the flop so i could get to a showdown cheaper and/or protect my hand"

i think you're thinking too hard. vs an unknown i just call down the flop c/r, betting if checked to. that's how you maximize your positional advantage. also, i you have jack high backdoor flush draw and many ways to improve if behind on the flop, so there is no turn card that will make me fold
Old 09-27-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like what? AcQc? it's unlikely i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

QTx, AcTc, AcQc--yes its unlikely but it's not a tiny pot either--and you need to get a read on an unknown. so it costs you 1BB more when you are behind but you get like 9 more BB when you are ahead.