Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Law school reqs....

Why don't you look for the answers to these questions here: discussion board.

That should help.

PS.. GPA and LSAT's are what's most important.

I don't recommend law school if you're just doing it cause you don't know what else to do with your life. Which seems the case as you don't know the answers to the questions you're posing.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:34 PM

How long exactly does it take once you get into law school to get out and be in a position where you're back working full-time and earning a decent salary?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:40 PM

I'd say it depends on the quality of your school and how well you did. You could do well at a good school in a major market and be guaranteed a 125k/year job by the beginning of your 3rd year or it could take a while. I'm not too familiar with the job search process yet though.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:44 PM

That's not too bad - 3 years? Hey, Lucas. What's the market like for lawyers in Denver?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not too bad - 3 years? Hey, Lucas. What's the market like for lawyers in Denver?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what it is like in Denver, but in general the market for intellectual property lawyers with engineering experience is great. You might even be able to find firms willing to pay for your law schooling while you work for them.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, when you say any major, have you ever seen anyone with their undergrad in engineering go into law? I would think there'd be plenty of opportunity for someone with an engineering degree, but I don't envision a whole lot of people doing this. I ask because my wife has mentioned interest in doing this. Her BS is in Civil Engineering. I really find it quite unlikely that this will ever happen, but she's curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to law school with a lot of engineers and they always has the most job offers (as patent attorneys). In fact, they were often paid a premium starting salary.

It takes 3 years from when you start law school to be working again. If you go to a first-tier law school, you can often get a summer job making $30K+ for the summer for doing next to nothing.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you look for the answers to these questions here: discussion board.

That should help.

PS.. GPA and LSAT's are what's most important.

I don't recommend law school if you're just doing it cause you don't know what else to do with your life. Which seems the case as you don't know the answers to the questions you're posing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice, but I'm really at a crossroads in my life, and my current career choice isn't what I want it to be. I have parents willing to put me through grad school, and honestly law school seems EV+ as opposed to broadcasting or communication studies.

Btw just sat down and took a few practice questions and did real well, and spoke to a friend who's taking the test in October and I'm going to talk more to him about it.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:42 PM

My son went to Kaplan to "study" for the LSAT. Study as in getting practice with the format of each section and critiques on writing the essay section of the LSAT.

It was expensive, but well worth it. He felt it prepared him better than reading study guides from a bookstore on his own.

He took some kind of business contracts/business law class as an undergrad which helped greatly as a 1L.

He starts his second year this fall.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:45 PM

From the practice tests I've taken, I can tell I'd do very well on the LSAT, but my GPA is 3.3. Is this out of range?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From the practice tests I've taken, I can tell I'd do very well on the LSAT, but my GPA is 3.3. Is this out of range?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not Harvard material. But if you do well enough on the LSATs you could get in almost anywhere else.