Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 04:59 PM

Default 3rd pair, flush draw flop CR

Full Tilt $.50/$1.00 6-max

four-handed

HERO in SB (covers)
BB ($86)
MP ($60)
Villain ($21)

HERO dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP folds
Villain min-raises to $2
HERO calls
BB calls

FLOP ($6) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

HERO checks
MP checks
Villain bets $8
HERO raises to $32

Standard? Villain's a little shallow for this to be fully effective, but blah.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: 3rd pair, flush draw flop CR

Villain is getting 3:1 on the call, so he'll call with any pair (and probably a flush draw as well). I think if you are committed to going to the river with villain, smooth calling and pushing the turn might make you a little more money (depending on how often BB calls). I also think leading out on the flop for a 3/4 pot bet is a good idea.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:20 AM

Not that interesting, I guess?

ttt
Old 07-29-2005, 02:28 AM

I'd fold this PF, since your implied odds are pretty limited. I'd also fold on the flop, because of the same reason. If you wanna gamble, putting him all-in is probably your best option. But I don't really like it.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:09 AM

Like some others, I fold this pre-flop as well. I think your play on the flop is reasonable. You have fourteen outs to improve your hand (9 flush cards and 2 cards to make trips, and 3 cards to make two pair). Depending on your opponents holdings, you may hit some of these outs but still lose.

Since it's four handed, your opponent could have raised with a wide range of hands. If your opponent was bluffing, your bottom pair may already be the best hand at this point. However, it's a hand that you want to win with right away. If your opponent has a weak ace, you may get him to lay down the best hand.

It seems like a standard semi-bluff raise, though there's a chance that you actually have the best hand.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold this PF, since your implied odds are pretty limited. I'd also fold on the flop, because of the same reason. If you wanna gamble, putting him all-in is probably your best option. But I don't really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me edit that: If you call PF, you cannot lay down flush draw + bottom pair on the flop. This is just about the best flop you could hope for, so just run with it. So skip the fold on the flop remark, I take it back.

I still stand by my fold PF remark, because I don't think this is a situation that pays off, unless you're both deep. You want to see a turn that is cheap compared to both your stacks. With your 14 outs, this is just a race situation. Some of those outs might not be good, but you have a little bit of fold equity and there's some dead money in the pot, so...

I don't see either of you laying this down after his flop bet, so it's basically just a coinflip.

There, that's better. Any remarks?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:56 PM

Good analysis, Bear and pokernicus. Thanks for taking the time. I probably should have been paying closer attention to stack sizes, in which case I would've folded PF after noting how shallow the villain was.

He calls with an 8 and turn, river bricks, fwiw.