Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 06:00 PM

Default PLO8 at WSOP? It\'s a mistake right?

Hard to believe this would slip through the cracks at cardplayer.com, but there's definitely no PLO8 event at the WSOP, right?

"While few events have literally packed the room, every event is showing substantial growth over last year, even in less publicized events like Pot-Limit Omaha Hi-Lo Split."

article
Old 06-26-2005, 06:57 AM

Default Re: PLO8 at WSOP? It\'s a mistake right?

Wasn't this the event where Gigabet finished seventh or thereabouts after being an early chipleader?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:53 AM

nope, that was limit O8, not PL
Old 06-27-2005, 12:24 AM

I beleieve there has never been PLO8 at WSOP. I think this is because the game is considered to be too easy to play by rote for skilled players.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:05 AM

Default PLO8 a \"dead game\"?

I thought the same thing--that their reasoning was that PLO8 was a "dead game". But given its resurgence online, would you agree that PLO8 could (ought to?) be scheduled into the WSOP in the future?

About this "dead game" issue (that pros with the know-how can beat this game too easily)... I wish someone in the know (Ray Zee?) would offer some in-depth explanation of their reasoning. It seems to me that since the game offers substantial opportunities to bluff at sizable pots with success, it retains the poker skill requirement. In addition, in online games at least (which may be a poor indicator due to their obvious weakness) successful players display a wide range of styles--LAG to very tight. The only defense I've ever heard for the "dead game" issue is that the live games dried up a while back because the weak players were losing everything too quickly. I don't doubt that, but I wonder if the better players were then truly just passing chips back and forth without any clear winners.... just doesn't seem believable to me.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:44 AM

Default And limit 08?

Ok guys, I really dont know anithing about PLO8. And what are you thinking about limit O8 at WSOP? I think this is sooo easy game that is consist of almost only pre-flop desicions. Isn't it?
Maybe this question is stupid. I've never seen O8 on TV and I play low limits on party. But I think O8 is very easy game to play it professionally.
I want to see a lot of comments [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 PM

I'm afraid this is simply not true. The original roster of WSOP events reflected games that people played in the USA at the time, in a "serious" fashion. As games became less popular, they dropped off the list, like Draw and 5 stud. In recent years we have had more NLHE cos thats what the Internet/ESPN donkeys want.

PLO8b was never widely played in the US. End of story. It was, and is still, moderately popular in Europe.

As to the "play by rote" thing, this is easier said than done. Sure there is a striaghtforward way for good players to skin bad ones, and it happens damn quick, but I can't think of anohter game where if someone comes to it cold, they make more of a hash of it. And this is especially true for limit 08b and PLO guys too. This is why the games burn so bright in the first place.

gl

dd