Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Image backfire?

I've been running hot in the last half-dozen orbits or so, taken down a couple of pots with raised suited-connector flushes, etc. It seems clear from the table talk that some players think I'm a fish, think I push too hard with nothing (esp. PF), and can probably be run over. All that said, it may not even matter in the play of this hand.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (4 handed) converter

Hero ($286.25)
BB ($69.25)
UTG ($100.00)
Button ($38.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $4.5</font>, BB calls $3.50, Button calls $3.50.

Flop: ($13.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2.5</font>, Button calls $2.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, BB calls $12.50, Button folds.

Turn: ($46) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 10-19-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Image backfire?

I don't like checking the flop. On the turn, bet whatever the BB has left.

Edit: I am also not crazy about getting crazy w/ AQ out of the blinds.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:25 PM

Bet the flop.

After someone open-limps on the button I'm raising out of the small blind with AQs 100% of the time.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:27 PM

I think the check-raise here isnt as bad as ppl are making it out ot be. Its obvious you have the image as a moron, and you are probably getting a spite call here and paid off with a weak ace. Hit the turn hard
Old 10-19-2005, 02:30 PM

If youd overbet the turn with a push with a set, I like doing the same here since villian is somewhat short stacked.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 PM

Push the turn the villain already has half his money in. If the villain has you beat he is getting your money anyway, don't give him a chance to get out of the pot if another heart comes.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:02 PM

Seems like a turn push is the consensus here. For some reason (not sure what I was thinking, maybe up against AK and trying to get a free river) I checked the turn, he pushed for basically the pot, I call. River A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], he has TT. Figure all the money was gonna get in there no matter what.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:09 PM

Preflop is fine. On the flop you don't need to raise so much. The guy basically minbet into you and on this board you are pretty much way ahead or way behind. Just raise that minbet to half pot.

On the turn you picked up a flush draw, if it's checked to you, check behind. If someone bets big, they may have scored a straight or two-pair, so call if you have odds to make your flush. Keep the pot small here.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:14 PM

I think that betting out would have saved you a bunch of money, at least w/o that 2nd heart and 3rd ace coming. I mean if u bet out and he raises then u can find out where he is. On the turn if u bet and then he raises a decent amount you will have a difficult decision, but you can get away from it. I mean with your image this might have been a good play, but when he calls ur raise on the flop u have to realize that this is an all in hand for him. I think that you should have lead out on the turn about 1/2 of what he had left or put him all in. This at least puts the decision on him for all of his money. I just think that checking got you into a lot of trouble in this kind of situation. Even a donkey would lead out on a flop like that. I'm not saying your call on the turn is terrible, im just saying that your play on the flop hurt ur play a lot and when the bb calls ur raise what do you think he has (even if people think ur a donkey, they might not be willing to committ themselves with Ace-weak .. your best chance is that that he has AJ or A9)