Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-24-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: 2 5/10 NL 6 max hands, I\'m turning into a LAG

[ QUOTE ]
what youre missing is IF the stack sizes are such that you WOULD be pot committed in raising a poor draw, ie getting 2-1 or better with an 8/9 outer, it is in fact better to have total air, thus you do not have to worry about the unhappy situation in which you call your stack off possibly drawing very very slim

[/ QUOTE ]

The stack sizes are not thus in the QT hand. He can raise here without committing himself. He WOULDN'T be committing himself if he raised to 275. He WOULDN'T be committing himself if he bet 2/3 pot with the T8s hand.

The idea that when you "bluff" on the flop you should bluff with absolutely nothing is silly, and is more psychological than anything. Some people have a hard time laying down draws getting 1.5-1 when it's 2-1 to hit. If that's a problem, then yes, bluff with nothing.

The fact is if you think you can take the pot down and you have a strong draw, then you should absolutely play aggressively. If there's a good chance hero will be played back at (both of these hands indicate this) then of course hero shouldn't try bluffing OR semi-bluffing. He should take the free card with a hand that has outs and just ditch the one that has none.

It's funny that you are trying so hard to make me look foolish, repeating over and over how I have not read the book. I have read the book. But it is not gospel.

[ QUOTE ]
if hero had air the pot bet would be highly superior, and it would be advantageous in that you would BE able to make that full pot bluff by having air, as its easy to take down the pot in that manner, as long as you arent committed with a draw

[/ QUOTE ]

It would only be superior if the hero thought he had a much better chance of taking it down with a pot bet, but in these hands that is just not true. Unless hero has been making clear what his bet sizes indicate, whether he bets 250 or 350 into a pot of 350 isn't going to change the fact that AK is folding and AA is pushing.

Do you disagree with this?

And the idea that in this spot it's much easier to take down the pot with a pot sized bet doesn't hold much merit since hero reraised preflop. With this action villain is forced to decide if he wants to go with the hand all the way through.

[ QUOTE ]
as you have been making posts to exclusively discuss the book it is fairly ridiculous youre unaware of this

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. I made ONE post about the book.

[ QUOTE ]
bluffing is something very different than semibluffing, but something the two concepts hold in common is that you shouldnt be calling off money while doing them, you should almost always be the final aggressor, as what makes the plays profitable is fold equity, fold equity, fold equity

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there any point in time when I disputed this?

[ QUOTE ]
btw what did tommy say?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a legitimate reason you're bringing Tommy into this? In other words, did you think this strategy would help your argument?
Old 12-24-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: 2 5/10 NL 6 max hands, I\'m turning into a LAG

Rika:

it's a lot better to be the one pushing allin with a draw than the one calling someone else's allin on a draw.

If stack sizes and bet sizes are such that you can't sanely push, you want to keep the pot smaller.

Or wait and push the turn.