Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Basic preflop question #2

Party 5/10 6 max.

UTG folds, Idiot opens UTG +1, ~65/25 opening all kinds of things, pretty goofy.

Next is a new player to the table, I show him with taggish numbers from mining, but sub 50 hands. He raises.

Folded to me in the big blind, I have TT, my action?

Also a texture question: Part of what went through my head was "5/10 TAG, can I assume that he's mining and that despite the fact that he's just sat down, he may have enough information on the maniac to isolate?" Do we hate this logic?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Basic preflop question #2

I think you can cap and release to a lot of flop raises.

The only problem I have with doing that is that a lot of players raise ragged flops with middle pp just to see where there at. But I think that a cap after an UTG raise and a 3 bettor will prevent that play.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:18 PM

I'd just coldcall. You'll need to have the best hand to win this pot. After this PF action, your hand doesn't look to have a big equity edge here. You're either ahead a bit or behind a lot.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:20 PM

I like caping more than coldcaling here, the tag is often isolating and don't have to have a solid hand here
Old 12-19-2005, 12:27 PM

How you play this preflop depends on how you want to play the flop. Your position relative to the loonie is not advantagous. Lets say you cap preflop. You want to force out the TAG, not the loonie. If you bet out, then the loonie will raise. The TAG will be faced with 2 cold but the pot will be giving him the odds to continue if he has a piece. He might think you are FOS and reraise to get you out. If you check the loonie will bet, the TAG will raise and you will be faced with 2 cold but getting the odds to continue due to the pot size.

If you call preflop, bet the flop and the loonie raises then the TAG will be getting about 5 to 1 to continue. Any better? I'm not so sure. Your position sucks here, both actual and relative.

Just a thought. Even if you only call preflop the loonie might just cap it himself.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll need to have the best hand to win this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is typically true in poker, a game where the best hand does in fact win the pot.

I'm not sure what you're really saying here.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:32 PM

I just wanted to express that by capping here PF + betting flop you don't gain the advantage to induce an incorrect fold on the flop.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 PM

Dids posted this hand in IRC. I told him I usually cap here as a Tag (if thats what he is, only 50 hand sample) is isolating a pretty bad player.

ITs true, against a loose isolating range Dids prolly has 55-60 percent equity, so some might argue for a cold call. Im still not a fan.
1. lag could cap it.
2. Tag may play the flop more cautiously with Dids cold calling in the BB (especially if he has any numbers on Dids).
3. Super remoted but Lag could fold.
4.If u cap, and lead flop (lag may or may not call) and u get raised, depending on board texture, it probably is not going to be a light raise and u can call the raise and fold turn UI or fold to the raise on the flop.

5.You get the all singing, all dancing mojo of every poker hand: "The Intiative" (The Intiative (in an interview): "Yeah w00t whats happening peoples. Im The InTIatIVE, you might have heard of me, Im one of the biggest theoretical concepts this side of mason-dixon and I win hands. You heard right, belive in me and my mojo and we will have you kung-fu betting...taking down pots and raping neverwin-cockjumping wannabes who dont know better. Side by side we will be smoking blunts and drinking 40s, sniffing some cocaine leaf off the fake breast-ests of loose hot, plastic barbie looking women...sometimes right on the felt at the bellegio. Just cap a bet, 3bet a hooded freak show WPT sacklover and I will be there for you. Peace. w00t.")
Old 12-19-2005, 03:59 PM

I used to auto-cap this, but I've been thinking about it a lot and think that in many situations cold calling is better. Your edge is likely small here. The TAG could be isolating with Ax or a small pair (best case scenario), but it could be a legit raise as well. I think in many situations its best to just call preflop because:

[ QUOTE ]
You get the all singing, all dancing mojo of every poker hand: "The Intiative"

[/ QUOTE ]
having the initiative preflop sucks here. I'd much rather take the initiative on a favorable flop.