Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: Syriana

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't like this movie at all. There was no central character or storyline, which resulted in complete and utter disinterest. I didn't care what happened. I was hoping all the stories would come together at the end, but that barely happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, if you were looking for that, you were in the wrong film.

that's one of the themes of the movie. did you like Traffic? b/c they're pretty much the same structure

edit: full disclosure--i'm liberal, which obviously would have some effect on my views of the film. but, honestly, not a lot.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't like this movie at all. There was no central character or storyline, which resulted in complete and utter disinterest. I didn't care what happened. I was hoping all the stories would come together at the end, but that barely happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked traffic, but didn't think it was amazing or anything. When I left the theatre after traffic, I felt like a lot of stuff had happened. After Syriana, not so much.

FWIW, I'm liberal to very liberal.

that's one of the themes of the movie. did you like Traffic? b/c they're pretty much the same structure

edit: full disclosure--i'm liberal, which obviously would have some effect on my views of the film. but, honestly, not a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-10-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I liked traffic, but didn't think it was amazing or anything. When I left the theatre after traffic, I felt like a lot of stuff had happened. After Syriana, not so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

go figure.

personally, i'm the type where i don't need anything to happen. i just need the film to be well-made and engaging.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this movie requires a pre-existing knowledge of US/Middle East relations, and a cynicism about the US judicial system. otherwise, you might get the impression nothing happened. I loved it, and am intrigued by US politics. my girlfriend probably couldnt spell politics, and hated it.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Geneva, Bryan Woodman (Matt Damon) must negotiate deals with the Prince of Iran (Alexander Siddig) while mourning the death of his son.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] There is no Prince of Iran? I'm pretty sure the actual country was unnamed in the movie.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I Didnt wanna read your review cuz I plan on seeing this movie and didnt want to see any spoilers. Could you just reply to this and give it a 1-5 rating or something? I havent heard any feedback on this movie yet and im interested if its good or not. I just dont want to read your entire review to find out if you liked it.

I'd give it a 2.

are you liberal or conservative? i'd imagine that one's view of this movie would be somewhat related to their personal politics ...

It had absolutely nothing to do with the politics, see the post I just made.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a two is pretty harsh. The narrative is diffuse, and the characters are poorly conceived, but the movie has some interesting content. My problems with the movie also have nothing to do with politics (I'm a huge lefty).
Old 12-10-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go figure.

personally, i'm the type where i don't need anything to happen. i just need the film to be well-made and engaging.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the same way. I just didn't find this movie engaging at all.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The United States, it will suprise no one to learn, consumes the vast majority of the fossil fuels in the world

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprises the hell out of me, as it is not true.

link
Old 12-10-2005, 04:52 PM

I think he was trying to say we consume more than any country and as a proportion to our population. 5% of the worlds pop., 25% of all fossil fuels, pretty bad.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The United States, it will suprise no one to learn, consumes the vast majority of the fossil fuels in the world

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprises the hell out of me, as it is not true.

link

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously what i meant is that in proportion to other countries we have a vast majority of the use and either way i've got enough stuff to look up for these things already.

what's that concept in writing? it may not be accurate, but it's true....or something like that. i forget the details. but the point remains the same, even if the numbers don't add up to 100%