Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Thinman

[ QUOTE ]

His three most recent IPs match.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we can't do IP bans, we should at least be able to see the IP addresses in all forums so that we can ban new accounts by the lowest of trolls.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is that most of his older accounts are just flat deleted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. No kidding. I tried my best to find a few older ones, but no dice.

Well, the only IP ban you could do is for the one found on the most recent accounts. There's not enough evidence that suggests it's a static IP, so there's no way of knowing if the IP ban would do any good.

Also, since there is a fair chance it isn't static, I'm not sure how willing Mat would be to ban it. I believe his main problem with it is that it could affect other users.

So, here's what I think you should do:

Record the IP from tonight. Then compare it to the IP he is using the next time he pops up after tonight. If they match, there's a lot more evidence to suggest he is using a static IP. If it's found to be static, it seems to me that Mat will probably be more willing to think about an IP ban.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:12 PM

He uses the same Internet provider as me (SBC). I think that my IP address is static. Even if it's not, most people that have SBC as their provider use DSL modems which are fairly static since they rarely get turned off.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His three most recent IPs match.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the date on the oldest of the three?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeremy,

It's not that it's urgent, it's that your logic in leaving the posts up seems really terrible. I'm not going to suggest the same thing as my emotional little friend here, but this isn't a a decision with which I agree.

Might a comprimise be to move the thread here, with a pointer explaining that it's a good thread ('cause parts of it I think are) but that it's just too much troll bait right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

what horrible logic. I deleted them once I saw you asking. I didn't have some grand plan to not delete them. Here's what happened. I saw it was thinman, I thought oh I need to ban him, did so and moved onto reading the rest of this stuff. I'm just not in the habit of deleting posts and if you check my history you will see that holds out in almost everycase, even where i've banned the poster. If that makes me a horrible moderator so be it. But bannings can be undone, deleting a post cannot. The post didn't violate any of the T&C's so it seemed like letting astroglide handle it was best as I have told him I would leave the bulk of OOT moderating to him so as not to cause confusion.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:16 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

ok i'm around now. i don't know anything about thinman or what his other accounts were. so if somebody wants an oot mod to do something, try to get me up to speed without imparting too much emotion heh.

i'll sign onto #2p2 on irc now if that makes it easier
Old 12-08-2005, 11:19 PM

That makes sense, thanks. I've been in the habit of deleting first banning/warning later. I'm just more aware of the effect these posts have on the people involved, so I wanted them gone as quick as I could.

Sorry if I came off a little harsh, emotions run high and what not.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok i'm around now. i don't know anything about thinman or what his other accounts were. so if somebody wants an oot mod to do something, try to get me up to speed without imparting too much emotion heh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the current plan should be to immediately delete his posts and ban him on sight. If Mat thinks an IP ban is the right action, he will probably do it.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:25 PM

When I have determined that a poster should be permabanned in any and all incarnations I delete everything about them. Give me the accounts and they will all be deleted.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I have determined that a poster should be permabanned in any and all incarnations I delete everything about them. Give me the accounts and they will all be deleted.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok will do from here on out