Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: 98s and I play goofy and/or with l33t skillz

because 98s utg isn't profitable?

I really dont think making shania plays at the 5/10 is worth it.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:32 AM

UTG five-handed? I feel very comfortable either calling or raising and don't understand why I shouldn't.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:35 AM

Seriously, the only time I ever open limp is when I'm on the button with a marginal holding and the blinds defend like 60%+.

Didn't see it was 5handed, but 98s is still marginal utg 5handed.

Typically I open jts and better from there as far as the sc's go.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

because 98s utg isn't profitable?

I really dont think making shania plays at the 5/10 is worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree with 2/2 of these points. Given his description of the table, and give a conducive image, 98s UTG should be quite profitable. It's not the way it worked out, but the plan should have been to isolate the donks in the blinds, even taking a small ev deficit preflop, because it will be easy to make it up against them postflop when hero has position on 2 mega donks.

I also think bakku's comment about the flop play is the most interesting point of contention in this thread, and deserves a good bit of discussion. bakku: If we don't c/c the flop, and a blank turn falls, what's our plan? I like the flop c/r because we should have an edge here, and if we're behind it sets up a turn c/r when we hit, and a river fold if we miss. If we don't c/r the flop, and just c/c a blank turn, I think we're committed to SD, which might not be good.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:51 AM

leaving preflop aside.

If the player is thinking and know's we've been light with our rasies, I dislike a flop c/r.

We might have an equity edge, but a thinking player can push us off on the turn with a free ui showdown line. Typically I'm going to c/c c/c and donk/fold the river agiasnt someone who I know is capable of putting moves on me.

We're ahead of a decent part of his range here, and I'd much rather fold to a raise where there's a 0% chance of a semibluff.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree with 2/2 of these points. Given his description of the table, and give a conducive image, 98s UTG should be quite profitable. It's not the way it worked out, but the plan should have been to isolate the donks in the blinds, even taking a small ev deficit preflop, because it will be easy to make it up against them postflop when hero has position on 2 mega donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this statement. YOu are trying to isolate the blinds while utg??? Thats stretching it a bit. And you can say "well it didnt work out this in this situation, but..." but thats exactly one of the factors that goes into why I dont like it, because you are still UTG, and what happened here isnt some rare anomoly. (ie you get 3 bet by someone who has postion, or even the other 2 guys cold call).

Also even should the play work, I dont get excited about playing 9 high against TWO morons. Talk about reverse implied odds. Sure it works out great all the times you flop a monster, and 98s sure looks secy for that, but lets not forget that the majority of the time you are going to have a very marginal hand vs 2 opponents who are going to play correctly against you postflop in those situations, even if it is by toital accident. And I think those situations happen waaaay more than you would like to make 98s profitable in this spot.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:34 PM

FWIW- my thinking was basically what af said, but after talking to drunk Alobar, Entity and rmarotti, all of whom are smarter/better than me, I changed my mind.