Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: 100 films: It\'s a Wonderful Life

We had a very, very long over-actors thread not too long ago. Nobody mentioned Jimmy S.

(Actually, we had to agree ahead of time that Pacino wins, and we were discussing second place.)
Old 12-04-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This was not played constantly where I grew up, and i didn't see it until I was in my 20's.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm guessing you didn't grow up in the US then.

to the people who dislike it: are you watching the tv broadcasts or the dvd? there's a big difference, i think, in how Capra builds his story that the tv edits take away.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We had a very, very long over-actors thread not too long ago. Nobody mentioned Jimmy S.

(Actually, we had to agree ahead of time that Pacino wins, and we were discussing second place.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This whole thread is out of order!
Old 12-04-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This was not played constantly where I grew up, and i didn't see it until I was in my 20's.

[/ QUOTE ]

to the people who dislike it: are you watching the tv broadcasts or the dvd? there's a big difference, i think, in how Capra builds his story that the tv edits take away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up mostly in Guam, but also some years in Hawaii. The first place might as well be the moon, but Hawaii is a U.S. state at least, though it's very different in a lot of ways. No Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life every year.

I saw it in the theater once, and on t.v. a few times, when I was in my 20's.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up mostly in Guam, but also some years in Hawaii. The first place might as well be the moon, but Hawaii is a U.S. state at least, though it's very different in a lot of ways. No Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life every year.

I saw it in the theater once, and on t.v. a few times, when I was in my 20's.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, guam and hawaii...makes sense

i had a similar view of it as you, based largely on repeated tv viewings, but it really all came together when i saw it again on dvd. or maybe i was just in the right mood that day. but i really think the commercials ruin the experience.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I found it cornball and about as depressingly unlikely as possible, a lot like a Cosby show episode where everyone is so extravagantly good-hearted that it's almost impossible to identify with anyone or their problems, and you know that those problems will be miraculously solved inside 22 minutes anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there really any reason to insult the Cosby Show here? You used to be one of my favorite posters, but now I am contemplating hitting the good old "ignore" button. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

craig
Old 12-04-2005, 04:53 AM

The Cosby show sucked. Thank God Married with Children and The Simpsons came along to help flush all that smarmy gooey tripe out of our systems. What a relief when The Cosby Show finally got cancelled.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Cosby show sucked. Thank God Married with Children and The Simpsons came along to help flush all that smarmy gooey tripe out of our systems. What a relief when The Cosby Show finally got cancelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never liked Married With Children. I think the Simpsons' scene where Al flushes the toilet pretty much epitomizes that show. Maybe I like the Cosby Show so much because Cliff reminded me of my dad. Well, except my dad wasn't a doctor, barely spent anytime with me, beat my mom, and we lived in a trailer. But, other than that the similarities are uncanny.

craig
Old 12-04-2005, 04:57 AM

I'm probably stupid but wasn't it's a wonderfull life about that jewish family in the nazi death camps in WWII.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably stupid but wasn't it's a wonderfull life about that jewish family in the nazi death camps in WWII.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are thinking of A Beautiful Life or something like that. Or you are just trying to be a jerk.

craig