Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 10:01 PM

Default $50+5: playing JJ

What's your line?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t985)
UTG+2 (t1090)
MP1 (t1055)
MP2 (t915)
MP3 (t975)
CO (t1000)
Button (t975)
SB (t970)
BB (t920)
UTG (t1115)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t125</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls t75.

Flop: (t272.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 09-05-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: $50+5: playing JJ

Horrible spot... probably check-folding. It is hard to imagine he would make this "I want a call" re-raise from EP with AK or 1010.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:22 PM

I'm not sure that it is too unlikely he has AK, but with the likely higher pockets here then you cannot really commit yourself. You could throw a bet out to see where you are, but check fold is a very safe option this early.

Assuming you do not hit the J on the flop, was it really worth calling the raise? Undercards and you are in the current unknown position, overcards and you are even worse.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you do not hit the J on the flop, was it really worth calling the raise? Undercards and you are in the current unknown position, overcards and you are even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good question. However, from time to time people miniraise with good but not great hands too, just because they're donks who don't quite understand the idea of no-limit I guess, so I thought it might just be worth it. The implied odds for hitting a set are pretty nice too. After deciding it's worth a call preflop I couldn't just check-fold the 2nd best possible flop for me.

So, on the flop I thought for a while whether or not I should check/raise. I didn't, since I didn't want to lose my whole stack. I bet 2/3 pot or something like that, villain miniraised, and I folded. Comments?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good question. However, from time to time people miniraise with good but not great hands too, just because they're donks who don't quite understand the idea of no-limit I guess, so I thought it might just be worth it. The implied odds for hitting a set are pretty nice too. After deciding it's worth a call preflop I couldn't just check-fold the 2nd best possible flop for me.

So, on the flop I thought for a while whether or not I should check/raise. I didn't, since I didn't want to lose my whole stack. I bet 2/3 pot or something like that, villain miniraised, and I folded. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would often call the raise preflop, on some days I may stupidly reraise. I may just think about that again in future and fold.

I think I would put a small bet in and play it the same way as yourself.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:59 PM

I think calling the min-raise PF was ok, it is probably boarderline, but the reasons you give are pretty good.

After the flop I would very likely take the same line you did. CRs risks way too many chips. This is probably a spot to take a stab, and hope to pick up the pot. Do you have any information on your opponent on how he may play hands on a flop this type. Is he one to re-raise your flop raise with AK, hoping you will figure him for a high pocket pair. Along those lines will he just call with a high pocket pair on a flop of that type in order to induce another bet on the turn from you.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:10 AM

I limp preflop.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:23 AM

Considering the fact that you called his "I want a call" preflop raise (as stated earlier), you must have been calling for set value. Did you hit a set?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:24 AM

This early in the game and in EP I treat JJ like 88 and limp for set value maybe call a small raise preflop.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I limp preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]