Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Re: At what point should I have gotten out of this AA hand?

[ QUOTE ]
So with those implied odds it's correct to call to hit my Ace out? (or maybe even more outs if he didn't have a set, but say, 2 pair)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not even implied odds. You've got the pot odds to call against the combination of sets and two pair hands the player behind you could have.

[ QUOTE ]
What I didn't like about this hand was that I was trapped on the river calling a bet and a raise, it just didn't feel right.

[/ QUOTE ]

The river situation is tricky. It's not easy to fold AA here for the first bet. The EP bettor is representing a four but he could only have a 9 or a King and is betting since he will call one bet anyway.

I wouldn't worry about this hand. If you never fold AA on a K,9,4,4,3 board, you'll be way ahead. Folding AA here takes a very strong read. And, even with strong reads, it's usually correct to call one more bet, even if you get stuck doing it twice.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd cap the flop, bet the turn, and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terrible line. Absolutely atrocious.

If you played it like this, there would be at least 18 big bets in the pot when the turn action gets back to you. There would probably at least 20 big bets and possibly 22 when the MP3 calls behind you twice.

And you want to fold on the turn?

There may be no worse way to play a hand than to put the maximum # of bets into the pot early in the hand and then fold in big pots late in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I look at the size of the pot, yes, I agree with calling the turn to hope to river a set, but does that imply that you have to call the river bet(s) unimproved as well? Because in my view, if you're calling the turn with the intent of calling the river bet(s) unimproved on this action that says you're beat, you're better off folding the turn in the first place.

Garland
Old 08-03-2004, 06:21 AM

Why didn't you cap the flop and/or raise the turn?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:45 AM

The only place I would consider folding is for the river raise, it would depend on my read as to what I actually did.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:50 AM

I didn't see the size of the pot. With that many bets in, I call the turn raise as well. I'll call the river bet, but probably fold to the raise.