Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Weak fold of AKo preflop from UTG after raising?

Choose to fold AKo PF here cause I figure I had a good chance of being up against AA, KK or another AK or AQ type hand, and that the other raiser would already have me beat with a pocket. Just didn't seem worth it to call, instead choose to wait for more better situations. No read on these players (was multitabling, and no one here really stood out so far).

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop:
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11.66 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.83 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (8.83 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, MP1 calls $10 (All-In).

Final Pot: 10.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows Ac 8h (one pair, nines).
CO doesn't show.
Outcome: MP1 wins 9.50 BB. CO wins 0.66 BB. </font>
Old 08-02-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Weak fold of AKo preflop from UTG after raising?

hey dude, could you PM me the hand history for this one? The results are screwy.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:59 PM

So let me get this straight, you have no read on any player and fold AK for two more bets cold on party poker because you put them exactly on kk, AA or AK even though you hold an Ace and a King and these guys raise with anything?

My advice to you would be stop multi tabling and concentrate on one game at a time for a while.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:06 PM

I think that pretty well covers it, it's going to take a lot more to decide I'm up against a very specific subset of hands. My experience at just about every limit, observed and played, is that people will three-bet and cap with cards you'd have a hard time justifying calling two cold with. AK in this instance would feel very nice to be up against that much action.

That said, I've got friends who are superstitious about AK and would just fold them in some positions (MP to three bets cold, say), but certainly if I had AK and raised UTG I'd be prepared to call two more bets.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:11 PM

You'll get run over in the 15 game if you make bad folds such as this one often.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:20 PM

So he got called down by ... K8? 10-7? K-X?

Egads!

Party &lt;&gt; Life

Life = Party

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 08-02-2004, 07:38 PM

Hi bisonbisnon,

Turns out I had wrapped lines. Here's the correct hand:

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11.66 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (6.83 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (8.83 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, MP1 calls $10 (All-In).

Final Pot: 10.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows Ac 8h (one pair, nines).
CO shows Ad Kc (one pair, nines).
Outcome: CO wins 10.16 BB. </font>

So, I guess the concensus was that I should have called, which I suspected. But, I was right, one player did have AK, and if this was the case, if I knew one of them had AKo, would folding be right? Anyways, 3-betting with A8o? Only on Party! Yeah probably should have called, I guess I'm too risk-averse and like to sacrifice EV for lower fluctuations.

- Tony
Old 08-02-2004, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I guess the concensus was that I should have called, which I suspected. But, I was right, one player did have AK, and if this was the case, if I knew one of them had AKo, would folding be right? Anyways, 3-betting with A8o? Only on Party! Yeah probably should have called, I guess I'm too risk-averse and like to sacrifice EV for lower fluctuations.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is extremely weak-tight play. You are sacrificing way more EV than you believe, especially since I suspect you make far too many folds than you should, call way too much when you should be raising, etc.