Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-22-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Multi-table play and paying more rake

This talk about rake got me thinking. I usually play 3 tables when I play online at a site, and I'm paying 3x the rake! So, when a site lists 10,000 players logged on, many of them might be playing multiple tables, so in actuallity, there might be 15,000 "player/tables" logged on.

Anyways, if the EV is bigger, it's better to play more tables, so I still do, but man, the rake I pay is amazing. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

- Tony
Old 12-22-2003, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Multi-table play and paying more rake

you finally figured that out AND now they jack it up another 15%..how you like it?? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

We should start a players union and demand rake rebates for fulltime pros or set up bogus accounts w/affiliates for rake rebates...heh....hmmmm and screw these greedy motherhumpskers.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:52 PM

There are other sies with fish and a lower rake + customer loyalty incentives. If you were playing 3 tables at Party you can do so on other sites. If you need to you can play 1 table at 3 different sites going.

Simple economics dictates that business does what makes the most profit. So who are you going to reward the site charging more or the sites charging less?
Old 12-22-2003, 09:23 PM

Yes I already do all that.But the fact is that Party still has the best games overall and Party works smoothly w/ PokerTracker which I am now addicted to.

I play at all rooms.I currently have money at Golden
Palace,PokerStars,Paradise,Royal Vegas(Prima),Total Poker.
I need to redeposit at Pacific as annoying slow as it is.
I've got like $10K at Party/skins.

New areas I'm looking into that seem to work for me are:

1.)Paradise HU NLHE sng's -I love these things -very profitable and fun.You can play 5,6 even 7 of these in an hour and thats only at one table..problem i have with them is that its hard to play HU NLHE while playing 2-3 other tables..you need to be very focused..so you lose the added ev of more than 2 tables of simultaneous play.

2.)PokerStars-is going to get more of my business.The games are better there across the board over the last 3 months.particularly at 6MAX tables and they have the best rake schedule at these games.Paradise and Royal Vegas are also going to get more of my action.

3.) Playing more at tertiary rooms w/poor software but very good games...rooms like Pacific Poker,Total Poker etc. maybe ICP-but ireally hate that place..crappiest software ever.

4.)Playing more MTT's at all sites and more single table Party NL/PL/Limit sng's.Play more 1 and 2 table sng's at PokerStars.

5)Look more at total value of sites including overlays and freerolls-Grand Palace/Mary's skin NightorDay give back alot to players that play alot in the form of decent sized freerolls-if you are a decent tourney player this adds big bucks to your ev.In general for me Freerolls are not worth my time unless the prize pools are $1000+,$500+ may be passable according to field.(size and quality of opponents).Prima rooms are starting to pull in the reins on promos but there is still value there also.

4.)Continue to play at Party as I am.But play higher for me that means $200NL/PL and $5-10+(^MAX or Full) rather than my current mix of $2-4,3-6LHE and $50/$100 NL/PL.

It's a challenge that I look forward to!
Old 12-22-2003, 09:52 PM

Very nice review. Your points are well taken. Looks like I need to expand my playing base a bit.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:15 PM

what a terrific attitude.
instead of sitting around beeching about it you simply go about determining the best way to handle this for your situation.

instead of unrealistic ramblings about boycots of party or player unions or whatever that will obviously get nowhere you remain focused on what the best +EV play will be now.

a few seem to be totally freaking about it. the best players just take it in stride and keep on plugging.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:27 PM

Just the typical, in-depth analysis I've come to expect from GG. Dude knows his sheet! Thanks for sharing your insight

As far as my adjustments, I'm back to SnG's after I noticed the first extra .25 on me. (my rate is better there before the increase, so a no-brainer now) I'm also considering Stars and/or paradise more strongly than ever.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:54 PM

thanks guys means alot to me.I'm not happy about the rake increase..but I need to adapt so the stuff I write is coming from my to-do list in my mind so to speak.I play for a living for me online play has been great because my expenses are so low.But this can evaporate at any time..and having rakes go up even just 10-20% is a major issue.I was playing 10-20,15-30 and 20-40 mid ninties mostly 15 then did something else for 6 years.When I came online I played at Paradise and would get crushed so I told myself I would start at the bottom and thats what I've done now its 14 months later and I just had my first full year of play and $40K ok but not great.But this rake issue may force me to play higher and thats good becasue I should be playing higher anyway.The new rake increase still hurts $5-10 but $10-20 and $15-30 its negligable the change.
I'm playing it by ear and just gonna see how things go here..but this change may be for the best in the long run.
If I struggle playing higher I know I can always make $170 a day even with the new rake if I have to at lower limits.
I'm already testing the waters...chopiness foreseen!heh

B&M is always an option.I am always thinking about moving to Calif.where I have played mucho all over southern California.I have unfinished business to do in yellow and brown chip games in LA.

Problem is as you get older you want to hang your hat somwhere for good and I want to buy a home.This part of Florida is a great value!!