Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Super Thursday QQ Hand, On The Bubble

I know I don't post much, I've been lurking and trying to improve my game. I decided to give the Party Super Thursday tourney a shot tonight. This hand was a big point in the tourney for me, and just want some feedback on how I could improve my play (if at all) in this kind of situation.

We are on the bubble, 141 left, 140 paid. I know the hand history plays out pretty much the entire hand, but just wondering what your thoughts are on the flop action for the most part. Looking back on it, I think I should've led the flop or pushed on the c/r since I committed myself anyway. Sorry if this is a simple hand for all of you.

In terms of reads, MP2 had been stealing his fair share, but not overly aggressive. He had become more passive as we were hand for hand on the bubble though.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (10 handed)

UTG+2 (t7620)
MP1 (t17141)
MP2 (t20242)
MP3 (t8308)
CO (t11211)
Button (t8301)
Hero (t15172)
BB (t10500)
UTG (t16044)
UTG+1 (t9672)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t1100</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t900, BB calls t700.

Flop: (t3300) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t2500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t6000</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls t3500.

Turn: (t15300) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets [t8272] , MP2 calls t8072.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Super Thursday QQ Hand, On The Bubble

I think I reraise PF, CR push the flop, or lead the flop pretty much in that order (and I'm leading so I can call a push.)

It sucks being the bubble boy but there's not much you can do about it when you have queens to an LP raise.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:39 AM

I'm going crazy. I could have sworn I already responded. I'd raise pre-flop against a MP raiser. Flop and turn look pretty standard.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the input. I cringed looking back on the hand this morning. I got way too passive, afraid to blow my whole stack on the bubble. I've been on a good sized downswing with some terrible luck in MTTs lately and it creeped into my mind I guess.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:14 PM

You say that you don't re-raise because you are afraid to jeopardize your stack on the bubble, but I actually think re-raising is the safer way to play it. There are only two hands you are afraid of before the flop, and obviously a big stack raising from middle position is going to have a much wider range than those.

Once you don't re-raise, you are giving the many worse hands he could be playing a chance to outflop you.

Unless there is an A or K on the flop, it's going to be virtually impossible for you to get away from the hand, so if you call here, it should be for the purpose of trapping Villain when he flops a pair worse than QQ. In other words, calling is a higher variance line that may marginally +EV versus re-raising (though I'm not convinced it is). But if you're concerned about stack preservation, you have to re-raise. You can even push, if you're really worried about it- Villain may interpret this as a re-steal with a weak hand.

I'm not generally an advocate of wimpy bubble play, but I think re-raising QQ is definitely less likely to get you busted than playing it out of position on the flop, and I think calling is at best very slightly +EV if you think Villain will fold to a re-raise but go all the way with a weak one pair hand or make a continuation bet that you can snap off. You are far more likely to trap yourself, in my opinion.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:21 PM

I think i can put villian on a bunch of hands that I beat such as a good jack or 1010, 99, aks, aqs, etc. I probably play this the same way pf, just calling. You see a nice flop. I like the check cuz you know he will bet this. you've got 14k behind on the flop which is 35BB. I probably call his flop bet, leaving me 11.5k, because me personally at this point am not getting away from this hand. Villian has got you outchipped by 5k so he can gamble here and still make the money. With 11.5k on the turn I check and then push to any bet. If he checks behind I hope for a safe river. I can still check fold to a scary river or even check call if I think he missed or getting the right price to make a call. If he pushes the seemingly blank turn then I have a decision. What was the result?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:26 PM

I don't like the reraise pf because mp2 was raising alot and is a large stack. I would rather look weak and make a call and hope to flop well and that flop was a good one for us. You know he's going to cont. bet it so if you want out there you can push him out. You're gonna go broke no matter how you play it to aa or kk if no ace or king of 3 flush flop so I like playing it a little sneaky. Plus if you reraise and he calls with trash to save face he might just be done with the hand and will check behind you on the flop.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:09 PM

1/3 times an overcard will hit the flop. How will you play the hand? If the answer is fold, you should definitely raise pre-flop.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I'm more with Lloyd on this...I usually do reraise this preflop, which is why I was upset with the way the hand played out. I had a brain fart on this hand, mostly because of my most recent MTT finishes where the villian had the one hand that could beat me.

The result was the villian had AJ, and caught an A on the river for his two pair. Not complaining so much as I knew I could have pushed him off the hand if I played the QQ properly by reraising preflop or c/r'ing all in. But I ended up in 138 so I at least got my buy in back plus $19 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Big pay day. That pot would've put me in the top two or three in chips and with almost a 4x average stack. Those are the breaks though. Thanks for the analysis.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not complaining so much as I knew I could have pushed him off the hand if I played the QQ properly by reraising preflop or c/r'ing all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your objective is not to push Villain off of AJ. Not pre-flop, and not on a J high flop. As you said, doubling through here puts you in an awesome spot to go deep. The risk of bubbling out, and certainly the risk of finishing in shallow money, is well worth it.