Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-23-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Vodka

Masked man, you are correct sir. I was able to distinguish Chopin out of the bunch, but mostly because I, for some odd reason, don't like it straight up. There's just something in it.

Belvedere and GG were a loss to me, so you win.

Edit: I think Diablo's point was that most of the premium's taste comparably the same and be able to name them just by taste would be very, very difficult if not impossible.

At the same time, distinguishing Smirnoff from Grey Goose, shouldn't be nearly as difficult, and I don't think anyone is disputing this being possible.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:32 PM

Long story, but eventually on topic.

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I was in Peoria, IL, on business. The person I was meeting with, a big frog in the little pond, was giving me a mini-tour of the city on the way to his office.

We were driving along side the Illinois River, and passed a large industrial complex owned by ADM (Archer Daniels Midland, one of the largest agri-businesses in the world). He told me that the plant manager was a friend of his, and that one of the major functions of that plant was to take in barge loads of grain and produce grain alcohol.

The grain alcohol was then loaded into tanker barges and shipped down the Illinois to the Mississippi and then to the Gulf. There the grain alcohol was loaded on a tanker ship and taken to Russia, where it was used to make vodka. Stoli Vodka.

Since that day, I have had much difficulty keeping a straight face whenever I hear discussions about fine hand-crafted imported vodkas. Give me a break--it comes from Peoria [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 03:39 PM

ben,

That's a pretty similar story to much of the "Kobe beef" people go crazy about.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ben,

That's a pretty similar story to much of the "Kobe beef" people go crazy about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya gotta sell the sizzle, not the steak. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 03:48 PM

So, ultimately, I'm supposed to be buying Smirnoff?

That idea makes me cry.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Long story, but eventually on topic.

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I was in Peoria, IL, on business. The person I was meeting with, a big frog in the little pond, was giving me a mini-tour of the city on the way to his office.

We were driving along side the Illinois River, and passed a large industrial complex owned by ADM (Archer Daniels Midland, one of the largest agri-businesses in the world). He told me that the plant manager was a friend of his, and that one of the major functions of that plant was to take in barge loads of grain and produce grain alcohol.

The grain alcohol was then loaded into tanker barges and shipped down the Illinois to the Mississippi and then to the Gulf. There the grain alcohol was loaded on a tanker ship and taken to Russia, where it was used to make vodka. Stoli Vodka.

Since that day, I have had much difficulty keeping a straight face whenever I hear discussions about fine hand-crafted imported vodkas. Give me a break--it comes from Peoria [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, I grew up 20 minutes from most vodka. lol.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Those of you mixing vodka I encourage you to graduate to a true appreciation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about those of us who don't want to vomit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I would suggest not drinking on an empty stomach. Also eat while you are drinking.

As for my favorite vodka is Stolychnaya. Also for the people mixing premiums with juice you're just throwing money away.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, ultimately, I'm supposed to be buying Smirnoff?

That idea makes me cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, thats what *they* want you to think.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also for the people mixing premiums with juice you're just throwing money away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started drinking martini's about a year ago. So when I started with the Grey Goose martinis my wife started ordering her bloody mary's specifying Grey Goose bloody mary.

After a while she said that she couldn't figure out why I thought grey goose was so good because she couldn't tell the difference. I laughed and told her that I didn't have the heart to tell her she was wasting my money by specifying a premium vodka in a mixed drink.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:54 PM

Vodka martini? What a waste of perfectly good vermouth and olives.