Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-23-2005, 12:46 AM

Default I am horrible with 99

I don't have PokerTracker in front of me right now but I think I am losing with 99 and 88 through 35k hands. I think that too often I am in the mindset of playing them solely for set value. For instance I almost always limp with them in early position. I very rarely attempt to isolate with them. I just play scared with these hands. On to a hand that just occured.

I've been at the table for about three orbits now and nobody has stood out. There has been a lot of limping preflop and so far there has been just one preflop raise that didn't come from me. I don't remember anything interesting concerning postflop play from villains so lets just assume they are loose-passive fish.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

<font color="blue">In the past I would have probably just limped in here because I suck, but when I saw the hand I made a concerted effort to be more aggressive. </font>

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

<font color="blue"> Getting two callers is not what I wanted to see here. Certainly a chance that I am behind but is the chance great enough to shutdown?</font>

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ??
Old 12-23-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: I am horrible with 99

Bet, it is really doubtful that they were staying in here with Queen High.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:04 AM

I think one of them holding a Jack is a bigger concern. I make this bet, but I suspect it's -EV; I should look at my hand histories sometime to see how this usually fares for me.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:05 AM

bet
Old 12-23-2005, 02:35 AM

35k hands for just two groups don't mean nothin yo.

Edit: esp. with pairs, yo
Old 12-23-2005, 03:01 AM

With no read, I think I would continue to fire at the pot (bet-fold). There are some amazingly loose flop peels that are taken on innocuous boards. If both players call your turn bet, check-fold the river.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:04 AM

I'm betting the turn, and folding to a raise. Prototypical semi-scary turn bet/fold scenario to me
Old 12-23-2005, 03:13 AM

Ok, consensus is to bet the turn. That is what I did, intending to fold to a raise..

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds.

River: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ??

Fire at it one more time with just one caller? Fold to a raise? What do we think villains range is at this point?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:14 AM

Grunch.

Bet/fold to a raise. Unfortunatly, one of these monkeys, if they don't already have you beat, have probably picked up a flush draw, and are calling you down with it.

I think I'd bet and hope everyone folds with TWO broadway cards up there. Then fold to a raise.

I check-call a non-spade river. I don't overcall any river UI.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:18 AM

I check-call that river and see what the hell he called me twice with.

What's the old line, hands you beat fold, and hands you don't will call or raise. I think I pay 1 to have him hopefully show me ATs. Had to peel on the flop. Had to peel on the turn with a gutshot and a flush draw.