Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-11-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Collection of \"How do i play AAxx threads\" 4 newbs like me

You seem to have missed the "passing AA preflop" hand recently featuring much bun fighting and eye scratching...by far the best post on here in an age...

gl

dd
Old 12-11-2005, 11:30 PM

Dave, that might still be here in the older threads and not on the archive server yet if that is all he searched.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 AM

I just spent like 10 minutes looking and I couldn't find that thread. Apparently I am search function retarded.

If someone can find it I will change their title field (where it says carpal tunnel, veteran, etc) to whatever they want (i.e. Pimpalicious, Big Pimp Daddy, Straight Pimpin', just a few ideas) as long as it doesn't violate the T&C.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just spent like 10 minutes looking and I couldn't find that thread. Apparently I am search function retarded.

If someone can find it I will change their title field (where it says carpal tunnel, veteran, etc) to whatever they want (i.e. Pimpalicious, Big Pimp Daddy, Straight Pimpin', just a few ideas) as long as it doesn't violate the T&C.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring it on!

The link is here!.

Funny thing is, I found this thread as I was playing and was dealt A-A-x-x. I lost the hand.

Change it to "Dominant Allele"
Old 12-12-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This simulation shows that a bad AA rag hand does indeed have an equity advantage over the more common type of hand that another player is willing to take against AA even headsup, but it's not a bone-crusher. With a smaller stack size I certainly would be willing to go allin headsup with such a hand, but multiway or with deep stacks and lots of money to bet the flop, then just calling someone else's preflop raise is the best option, followed by usually quietly folding the flop when you mostly don't flop a set of As or a board set with your sidecards.

But if you overplay that type of hand with deep stacks you will be a long term loser for it. And as I have stated here before, with a deep stack facing other deep stacks and aggressive players multiway, I have folded that type of hand preflop a few times, and don't regret doing so because I can find a better hand and a better spot than that to invest a big stack on.

[/ QUOTE ]

great stuff... why aren't your posts in the politics forum this good? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 03:34 AM

This is about as bad as it can get (coin flip). I got this hand heads-up all-in preflop and unfortunately, lost with my aces.

pokenum -mc 500000 -o ah ac 7s 2d - 6c 7d 8c 9d
Omaha Hi: 500000 sampled boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
7s Ac 2d Ah 254764 50.95 245236 49.05 0 0.00 0.510
8c 6c 9d 7d 245236 49.05 254764 50.95 0 0.00 0.490
Old 12-12-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring it on!

The link is here!.

Funny thing is, I found this thread as I was playing and was dealt A-A-x-x. I lost the hand.

Change it to "Dominant Allele"

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks dude!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great stuff... why aren't your posts in the politics forum this good? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are actually. It's just that you are willing to accept logical and correct thinking here because to do otherwise would cost you money, whereas it's free to you personally to refuse a correct political analysis. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is about as bad as it can get (coin flip). I got this hand heads-up all-in preflop and unfortunately, lost with my aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always hated that whole "coin-flip" term and mentality which migrated from tournament play to cash games. A positive edge is a positive edge, and you want to get as much money in on same as possible, provided that, you aren't long term getting larger sums in on smaller edges while getting smaller sums in on larger edges, and where such large stacks you have built up are now a significant percentage of your bankroll. This is because even though the edge is there, your variance can shoot through the roof and damage your bankroll badly when the conditions above aren't met, and because allowing the LAGs to stack you this way preflop when your edge is small often will result in their hitting and running when they win this situation, when you could have been assured of grinding them down in multiple pots.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A positive edge is a positive edge, and you want to get as much money in on same as possible, provided that, you aren't long term getting larger sums in on smaller edges while getting smaller sums in on larger edges, and where such large stacks you have built up are now a significant percentage of your bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this goes back to Dave D's statement about why it's sometimes OK to fold AA-rag. Of course, you'd like to play for a lot of money when your edge is large, but unless you are playing against total donks, your edge is usually small when the stacks get pushed in. A 1% edge is great if you are playing blackjack, but you aren't losing much by wait for better spots. It's only slightly -EV.

You know me, I hate excessive variance! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]