Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 09-24-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Fourth-level thinking in Razz, for TT

[ QUOTE ]
tt, timprov, gritter, and others:

your last post TT brings up a question I had. Why are you all playing these lowball games? I play a fair amount of razz and 2-7 TD but its mostly for entertainment value and because I like to fantasize about playing in big mixed games some day. What is your motiviation? The table selection isn't very good and other games, especially that one all the kids like to play where you only get 2 hole cards, are much more profitable in the current climate.

Just curious. I've wanted to ask this for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like learning a variety of games. When I took a break from UB TD I was heavily playing the Dealer's Choice tables at GamesGrid.

I also find lowball games (and split pot games) more fun--- there is generally more action and players loosen up. TD in particularly has been pretty profitable for me (although not consistent.)

Plus the evidence suggests I suck at full-ring 1/2 Hold'em and may be the fish at 1/2 Omaha/8 as well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Since I don't play at Party except for bonuses... the tables are a little tougher when I do play.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tt, timprov, gritter, and others:

your last post TT brings up a question I had. Why are you all playing these lowball games? I play a fair amount of razz and 2-7 TD but its mostly for entertainment value and because I like to fantasize about playing in big mixed games some day. What is your motiviation? The table selection isn't very good and other games, especially that one all the kids like to play where you only get 2 hole cards, are much more profitable in the current climate.

Just curious. I've wanted to ask this for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

My main game is limit hold'em at which I do rather well (so far, I suck at poker but then again don't we all?), I like lowball games because of my fascination with the fundamental theorem of poker where the explanations can be applied the easiest. I've become a MUCH better Hold'em player because of Triple Draw, and Razz made be a better Triple Draw player (figure that one out if you can!).

Mind you, these games are essentially dead. At the upper limits, its nothing but good players and very few fish (with the exception of TD because big gamblers view this as a big game of luck). I am a 1BB or so TD player, but I haven't played the bigger limits yet. Oddly, from what I have seen the lower limits on UB tend to have better players. Perhaps its because they are reading and learning, where as the upper limit players generally come to gamble?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2005, 11:15 PM

Also, my career goal is to become a useless academic, so becoming an expert on the mathematics behind a game hardly anybody plays fits in well with that.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, my career goal is to become a useless academic, so becoming an expert on the mathematics behind a game hardly anybody plays fits in well with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been catching up on a few weeks of posts at Other Poker and I found this gem. Mark, that is just beautiful!