Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Checking a dangerous flop for info

I'll weigh in as another who would bet out T100 or so, and fold to a push or significant re-raise.

Once you decided to check:

With five people seeing the flop and T150 in the pot, at this level a bet of T80 likely represents a weak queen to me and you are way ahead. So I understand making the check-raise.

But still, with five people seeing a scary flop like this, you're risking too many chips early with a TPGK. I'm not sure what level you're playing, but I also beware the danger of running a fancy play at a level where people aren't going to respect/understand it - I don't think the check-raise works here at anything less than the $55.

Since the raiser is directly to your right, you're not gaining a lot of information with the check-raise: you've got three other players who checked, and anyone slowplaying a monster - i.e. a set of nines [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - hasn't had a chance to respond to the weak bet. If you were last to act, I can see the check raise, but in this situation its effectively the same as if you'd led out on the flop, except you're costing yourself a lot more chips. Just re-inforces the "lead the flop" strategy IMO.

I guess if you're really intent on gaining information here I'd call the T80 and see what the rest of the field does, then lead out at the turn if a favorable card hits.

Edited to correct the fact that I don't know what level we're talking about here...