Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 10:48 PM

Default 7 card stud for dummies

Is Sklanskys 7-card stud for Advanced players to advanced for someone who has never played stud before? What would you recommend?

I have read TOP. I need something a little more stud specific.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: 7 card stud for dummies

I'm not too sure, as I'm not a Stud player. But try running a search in the Books or Stud Forums. They'll have some insight.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:06 AM

you will not regret for one minute purchasing 7csfap, it is THE definitive stud book, and oif you have a coherant understanding of TOP, it won't be over your head.

Of course, like anything else, there is no substitute for goor experience- some of the concepts in the book will not make sense until you have played several thousands of hands of stud. Don't let that stop you, however, the book will help a lot.

If you own the original "supersystem" the stud section in it by Chip Rese is also exceptional, though it is geared towards tight aggressive games, which you likely will not find at low limits.

The other stud books out there are not very good, IMO. (I play a shite-ton of stud, so trust me on this)

GL- stud is called "the game of the masters" for a reason, it's by far the most skillful and complicated form of poker (except for stud hi/lo, of course! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 06-30-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you will not regret for one minute purchasing 7csfap, it is THE definitive stud book, and oif you have a coherant understanding of TOP, it won't be over your head.

Of course, like anything else, there is no substitute for goor experience- some of the concepts in the book will not make sense until you have played several thousands of hands of stud. Don't let that stop you, however, the book will help a lot.

If you own the original "supersystem" the stud section in it by Chip Rese is also exceptional, though it is geared towards tight aggressive games, which you likely will not find at low limits.

The other stud books out there are not very good, IMO. (I play a shite-ton of stud, so trust me on this)

GL- stud is called "the game of the masters" for a reason, it's by far the most skillful and complicated form of poker (except for stud hi/lo, of course! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thanks. I will definately pick it up.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:32 AM

Hollywood,

The 2+2 stud book is one of the best poker books ever written. I've read it like 6 times and still pick up things whenever I reread...it is really intense. But there is a caveat...if you're a beginner to stud, it may not be the book for you yet. The book is designed for mid limit (15-30 and higher) play where larger antes SIGNIFICANTLY impact play on 3rd and beyond. If you are playing something like 1-5 or 5-10 (I'm just guessing bc this is in the beginner's forum), much of the advice in the book won't apply to you b/c of the smaller proportional ante. You may want to read Roy West's book first, then get the more advanced text (caveat: I've never read the West book, but have heard it praised as a good text for stud beginners).

Jeff
Old 06-30-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good book, but like all the "For Advanced Players" it's not very applicable to the low-limit games where you should start in gaining experience. (I know it has the obligatory "loose games" section, but that's not much material.) Roy West's book (I forget the title) is good -- but even then I've found I needed some adaptations for the overanted, super-loose Foxwoods $1-3 games. (E.g., a queen limping against an ace doesn't mean a pair of queens; it means the queen is paying a dollar in hopese of hitting lucky cards!)

The Sklansky book won't hurt you or anything -- just, as always, observe the people you're playing against before blindly putting some suggestion into practice.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You may want to read Roy West's book first, then get the more advanced text (caveat: I've never read the West book, but have heard it praised as a good text for stud beginners).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. These are the books I mention in the Beginner's FAQ :

<ul type="square">[*]Roy West: 7 Card Stud.[*]George Epstein &amp; Dr. Danial Abrams: The Greatest Book of Poker for Winners. I haven't read this one, but Mason Malmuth gives it a good review.[*]Ray Zee, David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth: 7 Card Stud for Advanced Players. It's advanced, but it's an excellent book on the game.[/list]
West's book is very basic but it's a decent intro. I have to find that Epstein book.

Stud is a fun game, I love to play it when I can find a decent game at a limit that isn't 1-5.

Regards,

T
Old 06-30-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hollywood,

The 2+2 stud book is one of the best poker books ever written. I've read it like 6 times and still pick up things whenever I reread...it is really intense. But there is a caveat...if you're a beginner to stud, it may not be the book for you yet. The book is designed for mid limit (15-30 and higher) play where larger antes SIGNIFICANTLY impact play on 3rd and beyond. If you are playing something like 1-5 or 5-10 (I'm just guessing bc this is in the beginner's forum), much of the advice in the book won't apply to you b/c of the smaller proportional ante. You may want to read Roy West's book first, then get the more advanced text (caveat: I've never read the West book, but have heard it praised as a good text for stud beginners).

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I'm starting at rock bottom. I've played just messing around, but I have no idea WTF I'm doing.

I plan on playing .5/1 on PP or Pokerroom. I have a solid BR for that level.

I'll pick up the Sklansky Stud book, maybe a few others. That should get stud on my mind, I can adjust my play from there for the smaller limit rooms. How does that sound?

I'm also assuming there are less "fish" players as opposed to Holdem.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:12 PM

I typically play middle limit hold em on PR, but I have played the stud in the past. The games are pillow soft on PR and I highly recommend them (this is all the way up to 4-8 on there). Plus I like the site and they pay promptly.

Jeff
Old 06-30-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I typically play middle limit hold em on PR, but I have played the stud in the past. The games are pillow soft on PR and I highly recommend them (this is all the way up to 4-8 on there). Plus I like the site and they pay promptly.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, to keep bothering you but, how does the 1/2 limit HE at PR compare to 1/2 limit HE at Party?