Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: New Biggest Miracle

"I see no possible non miraculous explantion if it is true."

Might it be that there were certain practices engaged in by the Jewish community that rendered their children immune to a disease that was killing off young non-Jewish Egyptians? Perhaps dietary restrictions? And perhaps whatever it was effected older children more than younger, thus giving rise to the first-born aspect of the story.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:12 AM

"Might it be that there were certain practices engaged in by the Jewish community that rendered their children immune to a disease that was killing off young non-Jewish Egyptians? Perhaps dietary restrictions? And perhaps whatever it was effected older children more than younger, thus giving rise to the first-born aspect of the story."

It supposedly all happened in one night. Any miracle has extremely farfetched explanations. At some point, if the miracle is true, Baye's Theorem says it is more reasonable to believe in God.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:19 AM

If I am I correct in assuming, your goal/s is/are:

1)To end the debate on whether or not God exists?
2)To decide what the Biggest Miracle was?

Then what?

Lets assume:
1) The killing of all the firstborn sons WAS the biggest Miracle.
2) We prove it happened.
3) We prove God exists.

Then what? Is your goal to believe in God only when He is proved to exist? Or is the goal just to prove it one way or the other and then be done with it?

The whole exercise seems a big waste of time at the end of the day. If you prove He doesn't exist, I still plan to keep on being a good person anyway. If we prove He does exist, and then follow Him, it will have been time that could have been better spent getting to know Him, instead of trying to prove his existence.

I hope I don't sound sarcastic, I mean it all politely, but it seems like the question is a tangent.

Why not ask Him yourself? And be done with it? Again, my tone of voice is kind.

Maybe I just don't get it because I don't place value in which miracle is BETTER than another. If He exists, He does Miracles for better reasons than to show off, and try to outdo Himself.

Is it, that you enjoy, not so much the outcome of the debate, as the debate itself? If so, then, that's cool, just let us know. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Will.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:51 AM

I'm looking for a litmus test. A miracle whose truth or falsity is basically in a one to one correspondence with the existence or non existence of the biblical God.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:54 AM

The word of god, the bible, is as pure now as when it was first written generations ago.

Miracle.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:05 AM

You couldn't go with turning all the water to blood?

(I think that happened, I'm not exactly a theologian)
Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 AM

You are too focused on the idea that miracles can only exist if God instigates them.

If this is anything other than a trivial semantic tautology, then, for instance, you overlook the possibility that belief in the biblical God is a consequence of a miracle, which would explain everything except the mechanics of how the miracle occurred. (Maybe the Universal Council for the Progression of Developing Species Through Miracles, or UCFTPODSTM for short, did it.)

[ QUOTE ]
is basically in a one to one correspondence with

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway this would be an overstatement, whatever the details.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for a litmus test. A miracle whose truth or …

[/ QUOTE ]

But nether the less, I hope you achieve fulfilment from your quest.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:25 AM

I can't believe no one has pointed out the real biggest miracle yet.

Clearly, it is Santa Claus' Christmas delivery! Flying around the entire world in one night (even hypersonic speeds wouldn't be fast enough!) and delivering millions of presents (from a single bag!). This is clearly the biggest miracle in terms of the amazing feat and the joy it brings to the world. (And it clearly proves that Santa Claus has "infinite" love and power and is the true God!)

You may say it doesn't really happen, but prove it! Your disbelief in Santa Claus is just as irrational. There are hundreds of texts which refer to him (and several thousand witnesses have encountered him in malls). Surely all these people can't be wrong.

This miracle has as much validity as any of those miracles you people are citing from a text written years after those "events" were spread by word-of-mouth until they became legends.

I can't believe (actually I can) intelligent people are debating which "urban legend" from 2000 years ago was the "biggest miracle."
Old 10-26-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for a litmus test. A miracle whose truth or falsity is basically in a one to one correspondence with the existence or non existence of the biblical God.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's easy: the Resurrection. That's upon what Christianity is based. If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, our hopes are in vain.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Explanation

Obviously these sorts of things can get distorted, if they're based on something that isn't quite the same, but more possible.

Basically what (IMO) probably happened is that a volcano erupted nearby, causing the 2 previous plagues (fire rain and darkness). Another thing that can happen when a volcano erupts is a release of poison gas. Now, recall that the Jews were instructed to hide in their homes and "paint their doors with goats blood". The blood could perhaps have served as an insulation mechanism keeping the gas outside of the homes.

So if lots of people died for mysterious reasons, including the pharoah's first born, but the Jews didn't die, the legend could easily have been slightly distorted to be just first-born children. Perhaps the poison gas didn't kill adults because they were old enough and strong enough to be able to survive the poison???

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have come up with this but I don't recall where I saw it before and I don't feel like googling today [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]