Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Pot Odds on God

Great, if all sins can be forgiven, then I just won't blaspheme the Holy Spirit. Even my sin of trying to work the system will be forgiven, right?

Now if you want to go back to your pot odds question, you seem to only accept it as far as it fits into YOUR currently held beliefs. By that I mean, that you believe masturbation is ok in and of itself. But what if you are wrong and the more strict Christians are right about this. Wouldn't your pot odds argument argue that you should never masturbate just because of the long-shot chance that you are wrong. I think it is incredibly convenient for you to ask us to make some adjustments to our beliefs for pot odds reasons when you aren't willing to make any adjustments to yours, even when making these adjustments would not violate any other hard and fast principals of yours. Do you see what I'm getting at? If you don't, let me know and I will try again to be more clear.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:39 PM

I forgot to add one more point. You wrote "The difference between right and wrong is BUILT into us."

You say that as if this difference between right and wrong is obvious to everyone so they should just do right and not do wrong to play it safe for pot odds reasons. I disagree that this right and wrong line is so obvious. If it was, you'd settle just about every major argument that mankind has had with each other. Just think about almost every hot button political issue today from abortion to gay marriage, etc. People all have different ideas of what is right and wrong on these things. Have you read the Sklansky posts on stealing, necrophilia, etc.? This "built into us" thing if true, I'd like you to simplify how I can easily tap into this truth. And please don't say "read the Bible" or else I'm liable to think that slavery is right and being in the same room with a woman on her period is wrong.

So this point of fact that you so easily cite as something we should just all get on board with isn't so easily understood. What am I to do if my mother or father ask me to steal? Honor them?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:06 PM

No, I don't even give the idea of God a .o1 percent chance.
No evidence, no chance, that's the way it works. In a poker related example.
Let's say that there's a rumor going around that there's a chance there could be a mysterious exta card in a deck of cards, but the rumor has been around for thousands of years, and no one has ever encountered an instance where this phantom card has appeared in a game. Should you give any weight to the rumor, even .01 percent. Nope. Changing your strategy even an inkling based on the chance that the phantom card will come up is a mistake. But you may say"Alot of people I know and like give credence to the phantom card theory, so I think I will too." It's your choice, but choosing to vary your play based on rumor and social influences is a -EV decision.
There ya go, I fit it into a poker example. Patting myself on the back [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Shooby
Old 09-08-2005, 05:35 PM

"Believe Jesus died for our sins, and was resurrected - Is this so hard to believe? Tony Robbins brought a man with a heart attack back to life. Look into it."

Yes, it's hard for me to believe. As it would be if you mean that Tony Robbins brought a dead man back to life by supernatural means. Any links?

When I hear about bringing someone back from the dead I'm reminded of what Billy Crystal's character said in Willow, when asked if so-and-so was dead: "I've seen worse."
Old 09-08-2005, 07:26 PM

pascal's wager again, what else is new.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pascal's wager again, what else is new.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how people think this is actually a new and clever argument.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:46 PM

Good point.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:50 PM

Consiously never heard of it. I'll check it out. The post was meant to get responses, so I can decide whether to continue or not.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:59 PM

Continuing with all game probability, what is the minimum amount of proof, I need, to believe?

Should I pray for Him to speak to me? I'm serous. I'd be willing to try it. Would it count if I heard Him in my head? Or would I be called crazy? Would He have to speak out loud on TV for it to qualify? Lets have some responses, and I will write them down, and give it a shot.