Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 03:50 AM

Default First 15/30 Foray

This is my first time sitting 15/30 online, and I'm slightly uncomfortable, but not scared money. To this point, the only hands I have played have been my blinds when it was not raised. I have no good reads on the players involved in this hand.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font>

Comments appreciated.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:55 AM

Default Re: First 15/30 Foray

I was sweating him during this hand, and I think this is a tough hand especially when your new to a game. I personally think betting the turn is the best move. It's an EASY fold to a c/r and if you're ahead you dont wanna give a free one to beat you. I would check behind on the river, though.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:42 AM

I like betting the turn with the intention of folding to a raise and checking behind on the river if just called.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:47 AM

Bet the turn. Given the Q on the river, I think a fold is in order minus specific info on your opponent.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:48 AM

Bet the turn. If you had the Jack of clubs I would take the free card. The river is just player dependant. Call if he is capable of bluffing. If UTG had been the one to bet, it would be an easy fold. But since It was the player in the middle, he has now seen both you and UTG show weakness. UTG would have led on the river with an ace, and you surely would have bet the turn with an ace. A tricky thinking player will bet that river a lot in that spot. He's in a great situation to bluff, because he has been able to gather a lot of information about both of your hand and UTG's hand. Also, the fact that he knows you may be worried about UTG overcalling behind you even though he is unlikely to have a hand, makes it that much easier. You cant beat much, but after looking at the situation, I think you made an OK call.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:12 AM

You must bet the turn.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:16 AM

I would deinitely bet once more on the turn, then probably check the river. Anyone with the Kc or Qc is going to pay th eturn bet, don't let them see the river for free.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, after thinking about it and discussing it with bicyclekick, about 1 minute after the hand, I realized how wrong NOT betting the turn was. As Steve said, it would have been different if I held the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+1 had 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the flopped flush.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:13 PM

Party 15/30, JJ...always a tricky hand.

a good rule of thumb though against party-goers is that you have a wide variety of value bets you never would have considered at "such a high limit" for you.

one of them is DEFINATELY on the turn. the value is two fold.

1) any draw, T, QJ, KQ, etc. will call thus giving you much EV and not betting GIVES UP that ev.

2) you can very readily fold to any resistance (i.e. checkraise) since you have 2 outs and are likely way behind)

for these reasons you must, repeat MUST bet the turn.

if called and you're checked to again its a little tricker and depends what hits on the river...normally though i'd just check behind unless i had a great read...i know a few people on party 10 and 15 that just call and call and call and i can value bet 99 on an AT5J8 board if the person never bet. these people are great because it often causes QT, KJ to fold and i get a better hand to fold AND paid off by a worse hand...being in the right RELATIVE position during a hand with one of those people is key...elysium can comment extensively on it...hes the one who got me on that track.

good luck w/ party 15. bet bet bet bet bet, and bet lol.

-Barron
Old 06-23-2004, 05:11 PM

Default I like the play.

I like the idea of being able to get to the river for 1 bet, as opposed to potentially being checkraised on the turn by a crazee PP maniac, or someone with a big club.

The only thing i think is a real potential risk is you give a medium club a free river to catch, when they might have folded to a turn bet.

All in all, i like your play.

Good luck at 15-30.

Joe